decat polo 6n exhaust

joshy1991

Torque Junkie
Car
nissan 200sx s14a
hi guys

can i decat my exhaust and what does a decat do . is there a certain one i need for my car. will it up the insurance and do i need to change the whole exhaust or just the catylyst

cheers

yes you can decat the exhaust. the de cat does exactly what it says on the tin it replaces the catalitic converter. you might be lucky and find that you can find one that is a direct replacement otherwise you can get the cat cut out and the decat pipe welded in.

insurance will need to be notified and expect it to go up
performance on something as small your only looking an minimal gains - max 3-4
MOT - you are likely to have issues with emmsissions unless you know the tester well

so . decats up the emissions and then it fails the mot . what a crock of ..... . so i cant put one on without failing the mot ?.

the cat in laymens terms gets rid of alot of the nasty gases in the exhaust. by removing this there is nothing to clean up the gases.
you can get it to pass without cheating but the engine would have to be in excelant running condition - not very likely on an older car.

tbh mate youll not see much from it anyway. i basically had one on the civic and didnt even notice when i threw the cat back on for the final mot before selling

did it increase the sound of your civic? cos thats what i want to do. i have a peco big bore 4 and its got the deep sorta tone i want but its not as loud as i want it. i have thought about hole sawing the baffle tube out. i have burnt the baffles already and it still isnt how i want it. will sawing out the centre tube change the sound? or would it be better to get another exhaust . also i can put the standard one back on cos its only clamped on. so if its too loud and it fails mot i can put the quiet standard one back on for mot

i will post a pic of wot i mean if it has made no sence to u ?
its gonna cost me £40 -£50 to get this hole saw drill bit or i can just buy another exhaust for £50 wot do u think i should do

Last edited:
might have made it louder but not by anything really noticeable

replacing the centre section with a pipe without a silencer will give you more noise, also what your sugesting should make it more noisy as well.

BUT if you make it too noisy the MOT could be the least of your worries - think folk complaining about the noise and car being held by the nice boys in blue. same as having stereos so loud after 11pm cars can be compounded - this does happen and has given me a great laugh

o sorry i was on about a decat but pgarner said that it might fail mot so i went on to my exhaust . cos i can put the standard one back on by undoing 2 nuts with a socket set. also pgarner my mate had a 106 and i could hear that thing about 1-2 miles away and he said he used to go past the police with his foot on the clutch. he never got pulled asfar as i know. but do u reckon cutting the baffle tube out will make it louder. i think the baffles themselves were burnt out by the previous owner cos when i did it not much baffle material; came out.. cheers.

taking it out will make it louder. if you want it loud and have a standard box spare you could just ram a screwdriver through it and make some more holes in the back box.
another option is running a pipe from the cat back with no silencers at all but im pretty sure these are both nonos when it comes to MOT time

you mates lucky then as ive seen a couple served with ASBOs around here for being too loud along with the get it fixed notice.

have never seen the point of making and exhaust "loud" - probably me thinking along the lines of all show and no go.

well im a show and the go doesnt bother me being that its auto. but i like the sporty tone and the louder it is the better the rumble. but as i say ive still got the old backbox so if it is illegal i can put that back on for m.o.t's.hopefuly tomorrow im gonna be drilling out the centre can so i will let you guys know how much louder it is. knowing my luck it wont be any louder but the emissions will be more and fail the m.o.t lol

there is still the same amount of exhaust gas coming from the engine and going through the same cat so the emissions shouldt change

the back box doesnt do that much

o ok. cool. cheers pgarner. do you reckon i shoukd hole saw the peco out . or should i just buy the savage exhaust . would like your opinion plz.

o ok lol. um i have one last question to do with the exhaust/engine. my mum parked my car right against the garage door so she could put hers in front of mine . the next day when i went out i came home to find that there was a big black splatter stain on the garage door . mum mum only rolled it back . she didnt rev it or anything? she just had the engine running and went backwards down the drive towards the door. any ideas pgarner

also i passed me test on monday . wa hoo

if theres loads of smoke residue on the door, its probably running too rich. but then if it was cold and she started it and moved it straight away could just be due to that.

As for all this put holes in your back box, that will cause problems at mot time, unless you have a friendly tester. when they put the probe into the tailpipe the readings wont be accurate as some of the gasses will be escaping through the holes.

If you want a decent system, buy a decent system!

o ok . also i dont want to drill holes in it i was on about removing the inside tube. been told its the baffle tube. but i do plan to get a new back box. but its £40- £60 i dnt have at the mo. also with the black splatter i think it could be were i burnt the baffles out. cos i put a plank of wood in front of the exhaust yesterday and started the car and there was nio black mark so thats that workd out. lol. but i plan to get the savage back box soon cos i do prefer the look of the jap can style back boxes.