convertable sports car

CitizenErazed

Torque Junkie
Car
1.4 Tigra MK1
Not for me this time, no I'm settled on my car at last Lol... For now:cheesy: This is for a friend of mine, she's just past her theory and wants to know what cars she can get, we all told her she couldn't have anything like a convertable sports car because of insurance, but the other night i looked up a car she was thinking of (a peugot 207 convertable, not a sports car i know but still..) and ate my own words. She's 20 and a girl and it seems that means she can have what she likes :-s

Intreasted bassically in the looks, convertable, sports car look, curvey, not boxey. looking for around 5 grand or less (might push to a little more for a really good car) second, third etc.. hand is ok. So what would you all recomend?

At the moment the best value car i can find (apart from TVR which cost a lot in the long run) is the porsche boxter, but thats around 10,000 so too much really, any cheaper sudgestions?

EDIT: scratch that last bit, a mercades SLK for 6,790

Last edited:
I mentioned golfs the other day but she doesn't like them as they're too boxy. Fair enough spending money on something you don't really want is a waste of money and stuff but I'll keep sudgesting it as the cheapest option I think

the celica looks good, also like the MGF, coupled with the Mazda MX-5 it looks like a good looking convertable sports car for 5 grand is no problem, and yet after showing her all them she wanted to look at hatchbacks someone had mentioned and latter said she can't get a sports convertable for 5 grand like she wanted.... What am I invisible? o.0 *sigh* never mind, cheers for the ideas though guys :)

Darn, I was going to suggest an MX5. There is also the Street KA and a slew of BMW convertibles.

What about an old skool Golf Clipper cabrio? Or a classic Stag or MGB or MGC?

The MGF's drive like dogs IMHO. I've not yet been in one that I've liked the handling of.

It sounds like she doesn't really know what she wants.;)

Yeh I was useing piston heads to show her cars with an aprox value of what you can pick them up for, but it seems seeing isn't believing unfortunately. A whole barrage of the useual idiots who insist you can't have anything better then a rusty 1.4 hatchback until you're 25 with 3 years no claims means she believes that instead, despite what she saw and what I told her about insurance. I wouldn't mind so much as it's not my car but that sort of ignorant negativity is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. People all ways going around saying you can't do what you want in life and instead must live a compromised shadow of what you want if at all, until more years of your life have wasted by or just permanently, and I just want to explode and scream LOOK! pull your head out of your pessimistic doom mongering asses and actually know what you're talking about and you will see that people CAN do these things.... If you get me... Grr :mad:

Nice lil internet rant for yah there Lol, sorry.:embarrest:

But yeh, nice cars being mentioned. (though something tells me she will choose a corsa) What's wrong with how the MG drives? I've never actually driven one. Is it the same for the TF? I think classic cars is the wrong direction TBH, far too boxy.

try and get her an insurance quote on something to so it is possible, yes it might be higher than a hatch back but if you can afford it. ie living with the parents etc then why not

I've done the insurance quotes just she wasn't around at the time, will try and do it with her at some point I guess. It wasn't that much, less then 1,500 for an MX-5 and for her first car/ first year of driving, I wouldn't have thought she'd get too much less then that on a hatchback to make it worth driving something you don't want. I'm only looking on money supermarket at the mo though for a rough idea, a proper search will be done if she decides on a car

Yeh I was useing piston heads to show her cars with an aprox value of what you can pick them up for, but it seems seeing isn't believing unfortunately. A whole barrage of the useual idiots who insist you can't have anything better then a rusty 1.4 hatchback until you're 25 with 3 years no claims means she believes that instead, despite what she saw and what I told her about insurance. I wouldn't mind so much as it's not my car but that sort of ignorant negativity is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. People all ways going around saying you can't do what you want in life and instead must live a compromised shadow of what you want if at all, until more years of your life have wasted by or just permanently, and I just want to explode and scream LOOK! pull your head out of your pessimistic doom mongering asses and actually know what you're talking about and you will see that people CAN do these things.... If you get me... Grr :mad:

Nice lil internet rant for yah there Lol, sorry.:embarrest:

OMG mate, if you ever want the number of a very good psychiatrist let me know! lol

I wonder what i would suggest o yeah a Mx-5, Small, Great to drive, Cheap to run, looks fantastic plus parts are cheap too so if she does have any prangs wont be to expensive to fix :D