Cold Air Intake Question

kyle2224

Car
2000 Sentra GXE
Mostly a general question, but I have absolutely no experience and would like to get into modding and fixing up my car, so my question is do you think it would be possible to add a Cold Air Intake system, or Short Ram, onto my 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L? I know it isn't a typical car to do something like this to but it's what I got! Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

On your car the CAI would be at best just a noise maker and not a performance enhancer. If you like the particular noise that a CAI will produce on your car then by all means fit it.
Small warning though, some cars ECU are very fussy about the air intake that they are programmed to expect to receive, which means that the addition of a CAI might bring up the engine check light. If this happens then you can take your car to have it remapped and these chaps can then tell your ECU that it can now expect to see more air coming into your engine and therefore the engine check light will stay off.

Thanks! I do indeed like the sound, but I dont know if im still going to do it without noticeable gains, I was planning on a DIY project anyways so it wouldn't hurt if I kept the cost low

Your best bet is to purchase a BMC CDA kit and take it from there. This is an induction kit and the cold air feed (CAF) is the piece where you need to find a suitable place to make an aperture to accept the inlet to this system and make the most gains from the cold, dense air. The cars ecu should be more than adequate to cope with this addition and negate the need for a remap.

I'm sure your right stamford, I was merely speaking from my own experience with an enclosed Simota CAI. Hopefully he won't have a problem and need to go down the remap route :)

Some ecu's have a small degree of 'learning' small breathing mods and will adjust to suit. You will need to research your particular one to see if it can do this. My MG one had around 175 bhp as standard, when it was dyno'd with the induction kit, decat and free flow exhaust it ran up a healthy 191bhp before it was mapped to get the best from the mods.

I was under this impression also stamford, my ECU is adaptive but for some reason it would bring the CEL on. You could blast up the motorway and not a thing would happen, then try and park the car in an NCP car park and sure enough the ruddy light would come on. MapTun boffins deduced what the issue was after using a Saab Tech II diagnostic tool a quick write for something in the remap and no more light ;)