240SX S13 1993 Question about HICAS

Dhruva

Car
240SX S13 1993
I am completely new about modifying and tuning. I just bought a 240SX S13 1993 and the old owner told me the HICAS is de activated, it does not work.
I want to take the car into stages to make it a credible drift sport city car. I would like to know if the HICAS is needed for this pourpouse and what should I need to do about it, considerations etc.

I have already made 2 modifications, Stage 2 clutch (because a friend gave it o me), port and polish of the head of the motor cylinders, and also new (regular suspension on front and back. as well of a new fan clutch because it was having temperature problems.

Please let me know about HICAS,
Thanks to all in advance.

It's not something that will help with drifting, you want the back to slide out controllably and this will just turn the car.

HICAS, or High Capacity Actively Controlled Steering, is a rear-wheel steering system that was available on some Nissan 240SX models. The HICAS system was first introduced in the late 1980s and was intended to improve handling and stability at high speeds.

The HICAS system works by adding an additional steering rack and actuator to the rear wheels, allowing them to turn in the opposite direction of the front wheels. The amount of rear-wheel steering is determined by sensors that monitor vehicle speed, steering angle, and lateral acceleration.

At low speeds, the rear wheels turn in the same direction as the front wheels, which helps the car manoeuvre in tight spaces and improves low-speed stability. At higher speeds, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction of the front wheels, which helps to reduce oversteer and improve stability during high-speed cornering.

While the HICAS system was intended to improve handling, it was also known to cause some issues. The system was complex and could be expensive to repair if it failed. Additionally, some drivers found that the rear-wheel steering could feel unpredictable or artificial, particularly when pushing the car to its limits.

Due to these issues, many Nissan 240SX owners chose to remove or disable the HICAS system. Some aftermarket companies even offer kits that allow the HICAS system to be replaced with a simpler, more traditional fixed rear axle.

Overall, the HICAS system was an innovative feature that helped improve the handling of the Nissan 240SX. However, it was not without its flaws and many drivers chose to remove or disable it in favour of a simpler setup.