Clearing your windscreen of ice

wyze

Tuner
Car
Polo 1.1
I nearly got hit 2 times today by drivers who had only cleared a small window in their windscreen.:mad:

Surely it can't be that hard to spend a little more time and remove all of the ice from your screen.

Last edited:
I just start my car an leave the blowers on until clear. I've got a drive so I just leave it on there an watch from the warmth of my kitchen. I use to pour cold water on as that breaks the ice up. But nowaday just tend to leave it ticking over for 5 mins....:D:D

It seems to be a big problem for many people in Akureyri to do so... Many people there don't use theyr blinkers and when it has been snowing they don't take anything of the car but a little hole to see what's right in front of them

I take all the snow and Ice of the car. Start the car, blowers on highest and start on the roof while the blowers start to heat up the windows

Some people are so lazy and brain dead in the mornings! I start mine up, demist, full blowers and leave it running. I then central lock it with my spare key so no-one can steal it! Then I continue to have my coffee and toast, in 10 mins it is ready to rumble and nice and warm :)

thats nothing we were looking out the window at work, guys next door are aloud to go or smoke breaks off site. hadnt even bothered to clear any of the window head hanging out the drivers window
i use warm water clears in seconds
NOTE i said warm not hot

thats nothing we were looking out the window at work, guys next door are aloud to go or smoke breaks off site. hadnt even bothered to clear any of the window head hanging out the drivers window
i use warm water clears in seconds
NOTE i said warm not hot

Cold water does just as good job as warm water. Plus cold water doesn't make your windscreen steam up.....:D:D

Best thing of all to do though is just get a dog blanket or old painting cover and put it over the car the night before then remove it and all the ice smashes like glass.

And to the people that leave there engines on idle 1k< for 5 minutes or more that is not good for the car in the long run and you are doing damage.

Last edited:
It won't hurt the car as long as it's driven a sufficient distance to evaporate all the condensation that's formed within the engine.

It's no so much a cold start that's damaging, it's parking up before the engine has reached operating temperature.

I thought Warming your car before driving it was a good thing. The same after a hard drive leave it on idle till the temp drops a bit. I do this all the time.......

I thought Warming your car before driving it was a good thing. The same after a hard drive leave it on idle till the temp drops a bit. I do this all the time.......
hi mate, keep doing so, this is how you protect the car
i always do it
but if someone is in a hurry, cold water will clear ice

water = -0 = ice
so if your water is +1 it will melt the ice no problem
however, and try this, put a glass into your freezer, when its frosted, pour hot water into it.... the same thing happenes to your winscreen if using hot water

no need to buy stupid de-icer or any product like that

hi mate, keep doing so, this is how you protect the car
i always do it
but if someone is in a hurry, cold water will clear ice

water = -0 = ice
so if your water is +1 it will melt the ice no problem
however, and try this, put a glass into your freezer, when its frosted, pour hot water into it.... the same thing happenes to your winscreen if using hot water

no need to buy stupid de-icer or any product like that

and older cold glass thats not protected will smash with hot water poured onto it.

And leaving on idle 1k<

Its the piston expansion when the engine first starts doesnt expand properly at 1k< revs so when you rev it high when first driving it will do a small amount of damage.

And leaving on idle 1k<

Its the piston expansion when the engine first starts doesnt expand properly at 1k< revs so when you rev it high when first driving it will do a small amount of damage.

Why is that then? That doesn't make sense. So your saying if I was to go to my car fire it up an boot straight up the street I'd be doing less damage than lettin it warm up a bit????

I think the idea is have the car heat up gently while moving & only give the engine grief when it's up to temp'.

But just sitting on idle does the same job but it builds up heat slower. I thought that letting your car idle before and after driving was a good thing?????

To be honest I do both ways it all depends on how much of a rush I'm in. I try to get the car rolling asap though in prefernce. I think this is one of this tomato, potato things! you'll never get a right or wrong answer.:confused:

However, anyone got a owners manual to hand? it'd be interesting to see whether all the manufactures agree or disagree with each other. :amuse:

and older cold glass thats not protected will smash with hot water poured onto it.

And leaving on idle 1k<

im starting a new thread on this matter,
called first starts in the morning