Civic Engine upgrade?

hyrich

Wrench Pro
Car
Saxo vts
I have just bought my first car.. (I'm 26!!) I want to mod the engine to get more bhp... Its a 1992 Honda Civic Lsi 1.5... Can any one help please?

ill get in before Prince ENGINE SWAP :cheesy:
As youve just passed this isnt exactly the beat idea in the world.
Panel filter and a exhaust might be your best bets with insurance. Go for and exhaust off a 1.6 check to make sure theyre not the same part.

is it a carb or injection

Hi, its injection, but I found out today its only single point injection... I dont mind too much about the insurance as I have already paid it up front, so I can pay the extra insurance as and when I install the mods..

Hi, its injection, but I found out today its only single point injection... I dont mind too much about the insurance as I have already paid it up front, so I can pay the extra insurance as and when I install the Modifications..

things like a panel filter might be overlooked by your insurance is you tell them its because its wahasble rather than performance gaining, the larger exhaust, if differnent, you could always claim you got it fitted and didnt know any different.
if your going for performance mods expect them to add up your insurance quickly

Ok, cool... So what can I do to it?.. Ive been looking at super chips online.. Also induction kits.. There are so many to choose from though? Like I said, I dont mind too much about the extra insurance costs as Ive already paid it up front.

Ok basics dont touch a chip ( in this case as ECU wont accept a remap, i doubt) as it will only gain you around 5bhp. leave it till last.

induction kit - wouldnt bother, had one in my 1.4 civic and it didnt feel any different when i swapped back to the airbox when i sold it. go with a panel filter and smooth out the inside if its ribbed ( i know the 1.4 had the ribs on the outside and inside was smooth already ) and drill a 3-5 20mm holes in the bottom of the airbox. this will give :
you better airflow to the box - the holes along with the snorkel,
larger airflow through the filter - panel filter,
and the induction noise - again the holes.
another good idea would be to fit a cold air pipe to the airbox to supply it with fresh air. halfords do 80mm alu pipe for around a tenner.

Stainless exhaust frm the cat back, dont bother with the decat its not really that restrictive ( again going by the 1.4 multipoint engine '98 ).

Fuel pressure regulator (FSE valve power boost valve etc) this should give improved throttle responsise.

Cams might also be an idea - stick to a fast road profile thou.

Last edited:
ill get in before Prince ENGINE SWAP :cheesy:
As youve just passed this isnt exactly the beat idea in the world.
Panel filter and a exhaust might be your best bets with insurance. Go for and exhaust off a 1.6 check to make sure theyre not the same part.

is it a carb or injection

Hahahaha...I really need to write a quick guide to Honda engine swaps! :lol: Basically if you choose to swap the engine you will be able to tune up the new engine much more efficiently. I think the 92 Civic's use a D series engine and produce 104 bhp. This isn't the best start. Trying to achieve anything above 200bhp with this engine is very optomistic. Personally I'd leave it a year or 2 before doing this. In the mean time you can start with the list pgarner has given you. But don't forget brake upgrades! If you are interested in the engine swap just let me know and I'll help you decide on the best option.

Yeah I'll just try those mediocre mods for now and I'll be sure to contact you for any engine transplants... Thanks A lot :)