Civic engine mods...

hyrich

Wrench Pro
Car
Saxo vts
Hello everyone... After having a quick look on the net and the advice I received on this site, I have a few ideas on my planned engine Modifications..... Have a look and tell me what you think?

Cold air induction kit..

Stainless steel race manifold - performance cat - all

stainless steel - performance back box..

Performance cam shafts - stage 2..

Adjustable cam gears..

Titanium retainers..

Racing valve springs..

Oh, and of course - Bigger brakes..

That will do for now as that list adds up to over a grand without fitting labour..

Apparantly im looking at about a 20 bhp increase with that lot... Im looking to get 150 bhp eventually, any more than that and I fear the car may cost too much in servicing.

Any suggestions / comments concerning my suggested modds, would be much appreciated.... Or if any one has any tips on getting the parts cheaper, or seccond hand, this also would br very helpful...

Have you looked at the price of all that? It may be cheaper just to drop the B16B engine from a Civic VTi in. This will give you 160bhp as standard.

Hi Prince, thanks for that....

Your right about the price of the those mods... I dont want to spend lots of money on them if it going to be much easier (and less expensive) to have a new engine fitted...

So, how much do you think I am looking at for that engine? (including fitting)

Also, will I need the ecu from the doner car? If so how much extra will that cost?

I want to try what pgarner suggested.... However, I have limited mechanical knowledge and im not sure how to start with the panel filter mod? It sounds like I should be able to attempt it at home though?

Get a second hand air box and play around with that - this way you can take your time and have a swap on/off mod and see/feel the performance gain.

The cost of the mods is quite a lot for a 20bhp increase but I would have thought an engine swap would cost a little more than that. It would however give you a really big power hike.

Do you have a storage area for a second scrap car? Buy a whole rear ended write off and canibbalise it for parts/engine/ecu etc then sell the interior, doors, wings,bumper etc and you will help to cover your costs.

I have more ideas for my engine.... I have been in contact with civicsport.com, I am now thinking of going down the turbo route, kit is about £1500 and will instantly give me upto 170 bhp.. so long as I keep the boost set to standard, the only other mod I need for now are sparke plugs..
Once the turbo is installed I will have plenty of options for adding more performance parts and gaining even more power.

How serious are you about tuning the car? If I was you I'd swap the B16B in their (160 bhp) and then turbo that! The conversion will cost you anywhere from £1500 to £3500. It all depends on where you get the engine from, the mileage and condition, if it needs rebuilding and then where it is fitted.

serious? Check out how sweet the lsi hatchback looks!

As for the exterior styling, im gonna keep it looking fairly standard for now, new wheels and a respay, still white but maybe not standard paint..

New engine? not sure? It is my first car, and I feel pretty sentimental about switching engines this soon...

I deffinatley rekon go for the turbo kit and work on it from there.. After that, the 200 bhp mark might not be so far away?

If you are serious about doing this then don't think about the cheapest and quickest way to a bhp target, think about the most stable and efficient way. You are currenly running about 106 bhp. Not the best engine to just bolt on a turbo on to. Listen to this part...if you have high mileage on the current engine then don't bother with it. Swap it! It may cost more at the start, but will be well worth it! Especially when you reach 200bhp and think 'you know what, I want 300!'

I dont intending to mess up my engine, and thats the point, I wanna keep it the car it is... A project like this is gonna take a while.. I plan to have the engine mods (rebuild if need) and brakes done at the same time (start saving!) Then get the looks and ride sorted, fairly standard though..

Maybe do another project after?

is it not possible to just fit the type R engine in that shell i know there different maybe change engine mounts you would have 197bhp to start from.

Yes it is possible. By Type R engine I'm assuming you are talking about the newer Civics which use the K20 engine. There are many suitable engines.

yes thats what i was thinking.
but even those engine have different variants like the integra, accord,civic and lets not forget the mighty s2000 240 bhp standard,great engine for a kitcar like westfield.

Hmm tasty... But I think if im gonna mod this car, Ill just improve what is there, it is my first car so next year ill be able to insure faster models.

yes thats what i was thinking.
but even those engine have different variants like the integra, accord,civic and lets not forget the mighty s2000 240 bhp standard,great engine for a kitcar like westfield.

Not forgetting the NSX engine if you are really up for a challenge! :lol: Generally, the B series engines are the best to swap as they are relatively easy and offer the best power gains and potential. The D series engines are the easiest swap to make, but are pretty pointless if you are trying to upgrade. K and H series can be done, but are a lot less common, and they weigh more than the B series. Still, when you buy a Honda, you have loads of options!

There is a B18C engine without box ecu etc on the DC2 site. You could also by a complete front end engine, box ecu, harness, drive shafts etc for about 2200 which is a lot cheaper than you are planning and a lot more reliable. If you want a turboed car then buy one that has already been done because it is a very intricate process to get it right. Reading the wish list you have written is going to be very expensive so have a good think about it. At the end of the day there are Integra Type R's out there for about 4500.

Just my opinion

Alright Tickety Boo, welcome to the site!

Yes there are Integra Type Rs out there for £4500, but I think modifying is about taking a car and making it unique. I'd rather have a Civic with an Integra Type R engine instead of just an Integra Type R.

Hi Prince, Not much difference between the two really so I would not call that unique, Now if he were to drop a V8 in then that would surely be unique. As you replied in earlier posts with reference to the cost i am only agreeing and trying to give the fella some good advice. To do what he wants is going to cost thousands, to get what, about 170 to 200 bhp

I think that sums up where I am now.... If I had unlimited funds of money, then I would do the civic up to the max, keeping the same engine and everything.... However, I dont have unlimited amounts of cash, so spending that kind of money would be crazy, I might aswel wait untill I have a years no claim bonus and buy an integra.... £4500 is less than what I would have spent on just the engine on my civic......

I have just bought a EP3 Type R and have started getting some subtle work done to it. Have got a DC Sports manifold with a full stainless steel exhaust system (straight through pipe - no cat) and have a typhoon induction system with a air vent in the bumper.

Can anyone suggest where i would be able to remap it at a reasonable cost?!

Thanks.

I think that sums up where I am now.... If I had unlimited funds of money, then I would do the civic up to the max, keeping the same engine and everything....

You have to realise that maxing out a D series engine would give you no where near the same power as if you maxed out a B series engine. When you read the performance increase from certain mods they always give you an estimated bhp increase e.g 5-15bhp. D series engines may gain only the very bottom of this estimate whereas B series engines may gain the top of this estimate and this is for every mod. therefore once maxed out you may have a 300bhp increase from stock on a D series, in a B series you may have a 500bhp increase from stock using the same mods. so eventhough it is expensive to swap the engine it is so worth it in the long run