Braking problem

Guish

Car
Peugeot 306 1.4
Hi guys,
I just got 14" aluminium wheels for my 306 and repaired some suspension parts and I seem to be getting some secondary effects now. At first I heard some noise in the right front wheel while driving. The brake pad seemed to be touching the brake disc while the wheel turns and the car gave shocks when I applied brakes. The guys at the garage had the brake pad polished and the noise stopped and I was able to brake well. However, I started to get the braking problem again after 30 kms of driving.

Now, they took the brake pads of the left wheel and had them installed on the right wheel. The noise has stopped but the car still gives shocks when you are doing 80 km/h and you apply the brakes. You guys have any idea? Thanks.

what do you mean by shocks?

im worried that the garage doesnt seem to have fitted a new set. and what do they mean by polishing the pad ? this would make it smooth, really you want to increase the friction not reduce it
the bad should be more or less touchng the disc as theres nothing to pull it back in after pressing the brakes.
when was the fluid last changed?
what condition are the discs in ?
what condition are the calipers in ?

taking a pad off one wheel and putting on the other is not good. whenever you need to replace one side always change the other at the same time. check your discs aswell.

Never swap pads around - this is crucial.

Check discs for wear and runout.

Hydraulics need looking at - sticking caliper seals will cause problems. As will a faulty master cylinder

By shocks I think he means vibrations.
Do you get vibrations from the brake pedal when you come to a stop?
Have your alloy wheels been balanced properly & are all the weights still attached to the wheel?

Well, they told me that the disc on the right isn't uniform. I had it replaced one year ago but I didn't buy the disc myself. The old garage may have put a non-genuine one. I'm suspicious because before I get my alloy wheels, the brake was okay.

Yes, by shocks I mean vibrations. I had the wheels balanced after 200 kms of driving. Thanks bros. When they checked, they didn't say whether the calipers were not okay and the pads are still full.

Right a few things about the 306,

if it's juddering under braking then you need to replace the brake discs (both sides never only replace the one), and your ball joints and suspension bushes are probably knackered and check your track rod ends as well, they are very weak on the 306 and wear out quickly so these will need to be replaced because I reckon they haven't been done in a while and don't take it back to the place you took it before they sound like there are really dodgy dealers.

Reactions: Loz
I like to think so,

something I need to do on mine is replace the bushes and balljoints and I think the anti roll bar drops link could do with looking at, they are quite rubbish really, they are made of plastic on the 306! fortunately spoox do some better ones and better bushes as well so I'll be calling them up when my wages are in

Hi Jarrus, the suspension has been upgraded and bolt joints greased. The stuff you told me has already been done. I'm going to take it to an expert now. There's a guy who repairs only Peugeots and he's very dedicated according to other Peugeot owners and he's the one who upgraded my friend's 306 with ventilated brake discs, pads and calipers.

I'm waiting for the wages to be in and I'll take my baby there. Only three weeks before I resume work now. Thanks a lot bros.

are you sure it has definitely been done?

has the anti roll bar drop links been checked? and the rear beam mounts? if you have uneven discs then you need them replacing the calipers checked, sticky pistons are a pain in the ass,

also if you did want to upgrade to the gti6 front brake then you need 15" wheels, how ever some hdi/xsi will be enough for your car and you have use you 14" wheels

have you tried putting your old wheels back on to see how they compare?

also something to think about, did you use the correct length wheels nut and tighten them properly? I know it sounds stupid and basic but it can happen to the best of us some times,

if you had them balanced at a garage, and had them refitted they will tell you to check the wheel nuts after about 30 miles of driving,