Bmw 316i

roryp15

Tuner
Car
VW Golf Gt Tdi
Ive bought ( today ) a BMW E46 316I. My one is either putting out 105 bhp or 115 not sure which, anyways im looking to get some more power from it.

I was looking to shoving a supercharger in it but the engine has done 116000 miles so itll be at around 120 K by the time i get the supercharger.

Some say BMW run better after 100K than after 10K if its been serviced and well looked after which it has.

Can anyone else think of how else i could get more power from it ?

Also im looking to replace few parts of the engine just with it being 116K just for more piece of mind more than anything else.

First up I would replace the hoses with silicone or at least a new rubber set.

For power you could look at a fast road cam, induction kit and sports exhaust. For bigger power gains it would be worth looking into engine swaps - try the 2.8 if this will fit.

Nitrous will add instant power but is really a track day only mod.

I was looking to add induction kit, exhaust, cams, remap, power boost valve and I heard that all this would take me from 115 to around 130-140 bhp.

I doubt these mods will give quite as much as a 25bhp gain unless you went for a very agressive cam profile and that would upset the daily running.

Adding up the cost of these mods (including labour) and comparing this to the cost of an engine swap is a worthwhile excercise to do.

BMW's are known to need major cash injections to get more power out of their engines, engine swap is definately the way to do it although there are some good turbo setups on the market which run low boost on stock internals or indeed supercharger kits that will run on stock internals, check fritzbits or ireland engineering on the web, i can't remember if they do them for your model or not