e36 316i '97 coupe

ibogdan

Car
Bmw e36 1.6i coupe
Hello.

If anyone knows what kind of BBTB would fit my m43b16 engine? i`m new to this sort of stuff so pls be patient with me if i make some mistakes :D

And also i have a little idiling probs with this engine... if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)
I am unable to help you with your question directly, but you are definitely in the right place for the knowledge that you seek! Somebody will be along in a little while who will be able to assist you with some answers or suggestions to your query!
Good luck! :)

Hello and welcome mate. AFAIK nobody makes BBTBs for the M43 as not many tune it. You are better off dropping the 1.8/1.9 (M42/M44) lump in instead and playing with that. You'll have 140bhp as instead of the 106bhp (iirc) that the 1.6 has. Then you can tune that bigger engine.

As for the idling problem that can be because of a number things. Off the top of my head...

- Dirty ICV (Idle Control Valve). Quite common on E36s.
- Air leak. These can split over time and cause a rough idle. Again, quite common.
- MAF sensor not working correctly.
- Lambda sensor not working properly (this may be indicated by poor fuel consumption)
- One of many sensors.

I would start with the top two on the list. If that fails then I would get a diagnostics done.

@Prince: And the m43 is running really smooth beside the idiling problem. I wouldn`t really give it out for an engine that i know nothing about, my opinion... those days it isn`t that easy to find an e36 engine that would`ve been taken care of..

Anyway, just to make an ideea about it, if i would swap for a M42/M44, do i need to change the gearbox aswell?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey.

@Prince : i was thinking about the ICV myself and afterwards i found out that at this type of engine it isn`t below the upper intake mainfold, it`s sticked to the throttle housing.

Number 9 in this picture
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BE11&mospid=47424&btnr=13_0402&hg=13&fg=15

@turbonutter69: Thanks, i`m sure i will :D

That diagram looks right. Simply take it off and clean it with some carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner. Be very thorough and leave it to dry before putting it back in.

@Prince: And the m43 is running really smooth beside the idiling problem. I wouldn`t really give it out for an engine that i know nothing about, my opinion... those days it isn`t that easy to find an e36 engine that would`ve been taken care of..

Anyway, just to make an idea about it, if i would swap for a M42/M44, do i need to change the gearbox aswell?

Thanks

It depends on what's available to you tbh. No idea what it's like sourcing an engine in Romania. Here you would pay around £250 for a M42/M44 in good condition. Ideally I would want to see it running in a car before it was stripped out.

I believe you only need the engine itself. The main problem is that you need to convert the rear brakes from drums to discs. An idea for a BBTB for the M43 though, you could always pick up another one and have it machined by a couple of mm?

That diagram looks right. Simply take it off and clean it with some carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner. Be very thorough and leave it to dry before putting it back in.

It depends on what's available to you tbh. No idea what it's like sourcing an engine in Romania. Here you would pay around £250 for a M42/M44 in good condition. Ideally I would want to see it running in a car before it was stripped out.

I believe you only need the engine itself. The main problem is that you need to convert the rear brakes from drums to discs. An idea for a BBTB for the M43 though, you could always pick up another one and have it machined by a couple of mm?

I did try that and it didn`t really work, maybe i should go for it again and be even more thorough... or change it with a new one.

I have done some research and it turns out there are some 1.8 is`es to be sold in here aswell and for about the same amount of money.. I am thinking to go for it as soon as i can get the money for it :D

About the rear brakes, i`ve heard that those can be swapped for discs even from the e46. Or i may be wrong. Anyway i don`t think those are a big problem.

I did try that and it didn`t really work, maybe i should go for it again and be even more thorough... or change it with a new one.

I have done some research and it turns out there are some 1.8 is`es to be sold in here aswell and for about the same amount of money.. I am thinking to go for it as soon as i can get the money for it :D

About the rear brakes, i`ve heard that those can be swapped for discs even from the e46. Or i may be wrong. Anyway i don`t think those are a big problem.

It's worth a shot trying again. Have you looked for air leaks?

By go for it do you mean sell yours and buy a 318is or get the engine from a 318is?

You can use some rear discs but not all are bolt on. The rears from an E46 328 are bolt on and allow full use of the handbrake, but you'll need to upgrade the front brakes as well. These can E46 M3, 330, 328 as the front is a little easier. You'd need the master cylinder from an E36 M3 and all the bits for the handbrake. I'm pretty sure you need the rear trailing arms to fit discs on the back as well. You may as well poly bush this as well whilst it's off the car.

It's worth a shot trying again. Have you looked for air leaks?

By go for it do you mean sell yours and buy a 318is or get the engine from a 318is?

You can use some rear discs but not all are bolt on. The rears from an E46 328 are bolt on and allow full use of the handbrake, but you'll need to upgrade the front brakes as well. These can E46 M3, 330, 328 as the front is a little easier. You'd need the master cylinder from an E36 M3 and all the bits for the handbrake. I'm pretty sure you need the rear trailing arms to fit discs on the back as well. You may as well poly bush this as well whilst it's off the car.

I had a look but i`ve got nothing. I`ll look again when the weather is more friendly.

By go for it i mean get a 1.8is engine. I would like to keep the 1.6 one, just in case.

Thanks for the brakes tips. I`ll start looking into them (costs, where to find them).

At the moment i`m trying to get an air filter for this one, untill i swap for the IS.

As for the looks, i`ve got the m3 body and the colour is m3 - violet :D
I wouldn`t change a thing on the outside looks, nor the inside. I like it as it is. Maybe some new rims, but after the engine swap. I`ve got some 16" atm, but dunno the model they are.

I had a look but i`ve got nothing. I`ll look again when the weather is more friendly.

By go for it i mean get a 1.8is engine. I would like to keep the 1.6 one, just in case.

Thanks for the brakes tips. I`ll start looking into them (costs, where to find them).

At the moment i`m trying to get an air filter for this one, untill i swap for the IS.

As for the looks, i`ve got the m3 body and the colour is m3 - violet :D
I wouldn`t change a thing on the outside looks, nor the inside. I like it as it is. Maybe some new rims, but after the engine swap. I`ve got some 16" atm, but dunno the model they are.

Here's a video on how to find air leaks: here.

You'll need to buy an engine crane for the spare engine. I personally wouldn't bother keeping it but that's just me.

I would just get a paper filter from BMW. Not worth spending any money on an engine you're going to get rid of.

I'd imagine your 16s are Style 30s, as seen in this link. These were used as the sport wheels for the 'lesser' models. When you hit 10 posts I'd love to see some pictures!

Here's a video on how to find air leaks: here.

You'll need to buy an engine crane for the spare engine. I personally wouldn't bother keeping it but that's just me.

I would just get a paper filter from BMW. Not worth spending any money on an engine you're going to get rid of.

I'd imagine your 16s are Style 30s, as seen in this link. These were used as the sport wheels for the 'lesser' models. When you hit 10 posts I'd love to see some pictures!

The wheels are something like this, as i remember (i have the ugly ones atm, for winter tyres), but not the same.

I was thinking about an universal cone filter. That could go for the 1.8is aswell so it won`t be a waste of money :D

I would love to get some pictures, but atm the car`s colour is pretty close to gray, since the weather and the mud on the blacktop :D, but i promise that as soon as i will wash it up, i`ll get some photos and put them in here :D

The wheels are something like this, as i remember (i have the ugly ones atm, for winter tyres), but not the same.

I was thinking about an universal cone filter. That could go for the 1.8is aswell so it won`t be a waste of money :D

I would love to get some pictures, but atm the car`s colour is pretty close to gray, since the weather and the mud on the blacktop :D, but i promise that as soon as i will wash it up, i`ll get some photos and put them in here :D

Ah ok. I know which ones you're talking about. Winter wheels don't have to be pretty. Don't bother with the cone mate. It's only make noise. The standard intake on the 318is is the best with a panel filter. You can also de-restrict the air box as well (ask me when you're ready and I'll find a guide).

Good stuff mate. I cleaned mine the other day. I was so glad to get all the road salt off it!

Thanks on the air leak video btw :D

You're welcome.

Ah ok. I know which ones you're talking about. Winter wheels don't have to be pretty. Don't bother with the cone mate. It's only make noise. The standard intake on the 318is is the best with a panel filter. You can also de-restrict the air box as well (ask me when you're ready and I'll find a guide).

Good stuff mate. I cleaned mine the other day. I was so glad to get all the road salt off it!

You're welcome.

Ok, than i`ll think i`ll save the money for the engine :D

I`ll try to wash it tomorow, but i need to take the picture pretty fast. If i get on the road, it will be full of mud again. And i`m sure i`ll cry when i get home after that :))
btw, on mine you can`t see the salt, it`s covered in mud :(.. I think that`s the price for driving it a lot (about 6k km per month). But i can live with that :D

Thanks for the tip on the cone and for the guide. I`ll keep you up to date :D

Ok, than i`ll think i`ll save the money for the engine :D

I`ll try to wash it tomorow, but i need to take the picture pretty fast. If i get on the road, it will be full of mud again. And i`m sure i`ll cry when i get home after that :))
btw, on mine you can`t see the salt, it`s covered in mud :(.. I think that`s the price for driving it a lot (about 6k km per month). But i can live with that :D

Thanks for the tip on the cone and for the guide. I`ll keep you up to date :D

I only do around 400 miles a month, but I can definitely appreciate you drive the car instead of locking it up for winter.

Have a read of my project thread: Prince's E36. Originally I was only aiming for a bit of extra power, now I'm supercharging the engine! Just goes to show what you can do with an old 318is.

I only do around 400 miles a month, but I can definitely appreciate you drive the car instead of locking it up for winter.

Have a read of my project thread: Prince's E36. Originally I was only aiming for a bit of extra power, now I'm supercharging the engine! Just goes to show what you can do with an old 318is.

Yeah, was a bit hard in the winter because i don`t have a locked differential (don`t know how to translate it into english, it`s the one that makes both weels to move in the same time, not one to move and one to stay still), but it is really fun the winter with it :D

It`s a funny story actualy, i bought this care because i needed badly one (i was always a BMW fan), and i bought it for work. I always have known that it`s a beauty, but still was a nice surprise for me as i found even more things to pe proud of :D

Oh, i have read most of your project long before i even started this thread :D still have to finish reading it tbh :D

Yeah, was a bit hard in the winter because i don`t have a locked differential (don`t know how to translate it into english, it`s the one that makes both weels to move in the same time, not one to move and one to stay still), but it is really fun the winter with it :D

It`s a funny story actualy, i bought this care because i needed badly one (i was always a BMW fan), and i bought it for work. I always have known that it`s a beauty, but still was a nice surprise for me as i found even more things to pe proud of :D

Oh, i have read most of your project long before i even started this thread :D still have to finish reading it tbh :D

LSD (Limited Slip Diff). I only have a normal diff as well but it's something you soon get used to. Everyone complains about RWD in winter but I really don't see the problem tbh. Just drive accordingly.

You buy it for work and suddenly it becomes a project! :lol: There's something about BMWs that you discover once you own one. Whether it be a 316 or an M3 it's just such a nice car to own.

It's a shame you're not a local lad, othwerwise I could have got your sorted with all the BMW meets around the UK.

LSD (Limited Slip Diff). I only have a normal diff as well but it's something you soon get used to. Everyone complains about RWD in winter but I really don't see the problem tbh. Just drive accordingly.

You buy it for work and suddenly it becomes a project! :lol: There's something about BMWs that you discover once you own one. Whether it be a 316 or an M3 it's just such a nice car to own.

It's a shame you're not a local lad, othwerwise I could have got your sorted with all the BMW meets around the UK.

Yeah, i know that a lot of ppl complain about the RWD in the winter. But i think it`s like you said, just the driver. Tbh i think RWD is better in the winter, since there is no understeer (that you cannot control), in the worst case scenario, u can control the back of the car with the throttle and u go sideways as long as u want. But that`s just me.

Indeed. I liked cars for a long time (and i still like them :D) but i haven`t got one that u can call a car until now. And i think it`s not just a project, it`s a passion. Hoping it will not develop in an obsession :))

Thanks for that. Means a lot :D There are a lot of bmw meetings arround here aswell (not just all the gyspsies with a junk that leaves a trail of rust behind it) :D but i got some things to set out before I start going to those meetings :)

I promise that i`ll take it to the car wash tomorow and upload some pictures :D

Yeah, i know that a lot of ppl complain about the RWD in the winter. But i think it`s like you said, just the driver. Tbh i think RWD is better in the winter, since there is no understeer (that you cannot control), in the worst case scenario, u can control the back of the car with the throttle and u go sideways as long as u want. But that`s just me.

Indeed. I liked cars for a long time (and i still like them :D) but i haven`t got one that u can call a car until now. And i think it`s not just a project, it`s a passion. Hoping it will not develop in an obsession :))

Thanks for that. Means a lot :D There are a lot of bmw meetings arround here aswell (not just all the gyspsies with a junk that leaves a trail of rust behind it) :D but i got some things to set out before I start going to those meetings :)

I promise that i`ll take it to the car wash tomorow and upload some pictures :D

You soon learn to keep you foot in and not back off. At first you have to fight instinct but you soone get used to it. I had the back out earlier but you control second nature.

You start off just making a few changes then you end up going crazy. I could have bought an M3 for all the money I've spent so far. But they'd be no individuality in that. :D

I'm looking forward to these pictures mate!

Hehe, well, yeah, you could`ve bought an M3, but you would need more money to make it yours, if you know what i mean :D

So, here are the pictures. They`re not so good, since i`ve made them with my BB, but just to make an ideea :

Before the wash:
IMG00055-20120229-1600.jpg

IMG00056-20120229-1600.jpg

IMG00057-20120229-1601.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! What a difference a good wash makes! I like it mate. Just a couple things missing from the outside. 1/ M3 splitter for the front bumper. 2/ MTEC rub stribs for the sides. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing (except the steelies)!

Wow! What a difference a good wash makes! I like it mate. Just a couple things missing from the outside. 1/ M3 splitter for the front bumper. 2/ MTEC rub stribs for the sides. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing (except the steelies)!

Thanks. Even if it`s a strange colour (violet), i like it.

Yes, the splitter misses and the rub stribs. But the M3 rub stribs i had were stolen and after that 1 more set of normals. Just today i bought the left-back one since it was stolen ... again. :D

I saw one e36 without those, custom made to be without them and it gave me and ideea. But since then i think i`ll just go out and buy another set, just in case :))

And also it misses the plastic grill on the front spoiler. It has been ripped off when there was a hell on the road with the snow and ice, and i didn`t have time and a place (since i don`t own a garage) to get it back in. But soon it will be in it`s place :D

P.S. The steelies are actualy alloy ones, but ugly as hell, i admit that :))

Thanks. Even if it`s a strange colour (violet), i like it.

Yes, the splitter misses and the rub stribs. But the M3 rub stribs i had were stolen and after that 1 more set of normals. Just today i bought the left-back one since it was stolen ... again. :D

I saw one e36 without those, custom made to be without them and it gave me and ideea. But since then i think i`ll just go out and buy another set, just in case :))

And also it misses the plastic grill on the front spoiler. It has been ripped off when there was a hell on the road with the snow and ice, and i didn`t have time and a place (since i don`t own a garage) to get it back in. But soon it will be in it`s place :D

P.S. The steelies are actualy alloy ones, but ugly as hell, i admit that :))

That's the problem with the MTEC rub strips. They're so easy to just pull off. Maybe try a bit of no more nails! :lol: At least they're cheap.

I don't like smoothed over E36s. It doesn't suit the lines of the car imo. You'd have to smooth over the front and rear bumpers to match as well.

Have you got any wheels in mind for summer?

That's the problem with the MTEC rub strips. They're so easy to just pull off. Maybe try a bit of no more nails! :lol: At least they're cheap.

I don't like smoothed over E36s. It doesn't suit the lines of the car imo. You'd have to smooth over the front and rear bumpers to match as well.

Have you got any wheels in mind for summer?

I think i`ll make some from iron, paint them, and connect them to an electrical charge or something, get the thieft in the morning and kick his ass bad :D

Me neither, i just thought that it would be interesting and practical at the same time. All those rub strips were stolen from the car in just about 1 month time.

But i could always aim for a house with a garage :D

The wheels are a bit premature thing to think about atm. My first task is to get that 1.8 is and maybe some mods on aswell. After that the weels. Since then i have the other ones that i`ve told you about. They`r not that cheap and i don`t have atm all the money that i would like for the car :D

And i was thinking about an entire new custom stainless steel exhaust, from the front to the back, since i didn`t find any. Also i need to upgrade the suspension.

Just for the record, i love OZ Racing Allegerita HLT kind of rims. I was thinking about some that look something like that. But i also love the ones that you`re trying to (or even did) sell. Those are some beauties.

I think i`ll make some from iron, paint them, and connect them to an electrical charge or something, get the thieft in the morning and kick his ass bad :D

Me neither, i just thought that it would be interesting and practical at the same time. All those rub strips were stolen from the car in just about 1 month time.

But i could always aim for a house with a garage :D

The wheels are a bit premature thing to think about atm. My first task is to get that 1.8 is and maybe some mods on aswell. After that the weels. Since then i have the other ones that i`ve told you about. They`r not that cheap and i don`t have atm all the money that i would like for the car :D

And i was thinking about an entire new custom stainless steel exhaust, from the front to the back, since i didn`t find any. Also i need to upgrade the suspension.

Just for the record, i love OZ Racing Allegerita HLT kind of rims. I was thinking about some that look something like that. But i also love the ones that you`re trying to (or even did) sell. Those are some beauties.

Hahaha.. That would quite literally shock him! I like you're thinking mate. We call it function over form. It's nice to see someone thinking that way.

What are the rules on emissions like over there? You could lose the cat all together, although be aware that the M42/M44 doesn't actually gain anything from a decat.

OZ make some awesome wheels but very expensive. Most people over here get the RC041/RC042 wheels (from the E36 328 sport) as they're quite cheap.

Thanks dude. I wish I could keep them but as I said, function over form.

Hahaha.. That would quite literally shock him! I like you're thinking mate. We call it function over form. It's nice to see someone thinking that way.

What are the rules on emissions like over there? You could lose the cat all together, although be aware that the M42/M44 doesn't actually gain anything from a decat.

OZ make some awesome wheels but very expensive. Most people over here get the RC041/RC042 wheels (from the E36 328 sport) as they're quite cheap.

Thanks dude. I wish I could keep them but as I said, function over form.

The rules doesn`t really matter, ever since u have a big exhaust and the car sounds anything different than normal, u`r kinda marked and you will expect to be pulled over more often. The same thing will happen if you even have a BMW, doesn`t matter if you have done something wrong. But to be caught by the guys that check your emissions is not that easy as they are usually busy with the trucks :D As for the inspection, i`m ok to change the exhaust every 4 years or something like that :D

I was thinking about a sport cat, but decat is easyer :D

About the rims, in here it seems that the RC 090 are easy to find and they cost about 500 euros with gums. The RC 041/042 are kinda hard to find arround here it seems. How cheap are they over there?

Indeed, but it`s a shame anyway :p But i looked over your thread and the new ones aren`t bad at all tbh :D

The rules doesn`t really matter, ever since u have a big exhaust and the car sounds anything different than normal, u`r kinda marked and you will expect to be pulled over more often. The same thing will happen if you even have a BMW, doesn`t matter if you have done something wrong. But to be caught by the guys that check your emissions is not that easy as they are usually busy with the trucks :D As for the inspection, i`m ok to change the exhaust every 4 years or something like that :D

I was thinking about a sport cat, but decat is easyer :D

About the rims, in here it seems that the RC 090 are easy to find and they cost about 500 euros with gums. The RC 041/042 are kinda hard to find arround here it seems. How cheap are they over there?

Indeed, but it`s a shame anyway :p But i looked over your thread and the new ones aren`t bad at all tbh :D

A decat would be easier but from what I've heard I probably wouldn't bother still.

RC090s go for anything from £400-900 depending on condition although I'm finding it difficult to sell mine. RC041/2s you can pick up in good condition from £200 upwards hence why most just get those.

Thanks. They'll look ten times better with the BBK behind them! :D