Bloke Thing

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
Now i know not many of us will admit the amount of times we have stalled, i have a corsa which is impossible to stall (nearly)

in fact when my other car was written off, i tried to move it but the rear wheels seized up, i thought revving and clutching would would budge it but no. at one point it was in reverse, with my foot off the clutch and me out of the car and still no stalling :shock:

anyway, back to the point. why is it than when a man (never a woman) stalls a car, i notice a pattern occuring afterward:

the man looks at the dash as if the car walked in at christmas and urinated on your children, then start the car again, rev it to the max, and for the next 5 miles drive like a maniac?

ever done this? :lol:

erm, not me but i know this guy early, driving just the same golf as me :oops: stalled it, looked at the dash in complete shock, started it again, revved the b*ll*cks out of it and raced off, you'd never catch me doing that! :lol:

aswearing said:
the man looks at the dash as if the car walked in at christmas and urinated on your children, then start the car again, rev it to the max, and for the next 5 miles drive like a maniac?

ever done this? :lol:

looked at the dash like its the cars fault then just restart it and give it a bit more revs than needed until it going

stalled a primera gt the other day first time id drove the guys cars my excuse is the clutch has nothing in it. there was only bout 2 inches of travel till the floor
stalled the bora trying 2 get out a junction in heavy traffic so was stuck in the middle of the road and the ignition needs to be fully switched off then back on

when the wife stalls any car she just swears and kicks it over and revs the balls off it

Automatics are the way foward in my opinion. As long as they're nicely powered ones with loads of torque and top end shove.

I currently am driving a manual, which I am more than capable of doing but it can stall if you're too swift with the clutch pedal, even with the massive torque of a diesel engine.

I Much prefer the smoothness and immediacy of a decent auto.

Also, I hate the sluggish response of a sloshy old Vectra auto; by way of example.

Automatics are the way foward in my opinion. As long as they're nicely powered ones with loads of torque and top end shove.

I currently am driving a manual, which I am more than capable of doing but it can stall if you're too swift with the clutch pedal, even with the massive torque of a diesel engine.

I Much prefer the smoothness and immediacy of a decent auto.

Also, I hate the sluggish response of a sloshy old Vectra auto; by way of example.

You'll notice we blame the car! We say the car crashed the car stalled the car swerved etc all the time! Its the driver that crashed the car or the driver who stalled the engine or made the car swerve.

The other one that gets me from my insurance days is the statement "I braked but the car skidded!" Lets all get out and give the naughty car a jolly good thrashing with a tree branch Basil Fawlty style and perhaps it will behave next time! :lol:

gotta admit i never really like autos until last wkend covering 700 miles in a merc. on twisty roads really helped just missed changing gear manually ever though it had a manual override it took ages to change.

would seriously consider gettin an auto now

Modern six/seven ratio automatics with qucik shifting and minor hydraulic loss are a delight to drive. Why bugger around with a clutch pedal and gear lever thingy when it can be done for you?

I agree, they're not ideal in low powered cars but when you have so much torque that you need a computer to stop the tyres catching fire in third then a couple of percent bhp wasted in churning the torque converter is no loss.

I like two pedal cars, with loads and loads of excess shove. It's such a lazy drive, yet so engaging at the same time.

that was the only problem the merc was a 2.2 4 speed people carrier still enough oomh to pass easily on the motorway and on back roads.
disadvantage was economy low mid 20's but that was prob the weight myself 2 other staff and 5 cadets with all kit

thing with autos is you dont have as much control over the engine as you do in a manual (well i supposed thats the whole point of a auto really :lol: ).

i like being able to double clutch and use a bit of ol heel and toe from time to time.

semi- autos, now youre talkin

StevieDB9 said:
thing with autos is you dont have as much control over the engine as you do in a manual (well i supposed thats the whole point of a auto really :lol: ).
semi- autos, now youre talkin

yeah i noiced that even when it was in manual it still wanted to do its own things sitting in 4th and just putting the foot down leaving a 50 into a 60 it kicked down while in manual

wouldnt mind a go in a smg or dsg or whatever else you want to call it