Best and worst brakes

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which car have you driven that gets the award of having the best brakes.

Whilst we are on the subject which one had the worst brakes?

I got some new long life pads for my Astra and the braking was terrible on those. My Rover 220 brakes also left a lot to be desired considering the cars speed.

The best braking cars is my current A3 and a Toyota Corolla which had a super survo assist that seemed to slam on the anchors. The A3 still stops well with a full car load wheras the Corolla struggled with a bit of weight. Thats always the test of a good set of brakes.

my volvo has very good brakes
citroens have bad brakes well old ones bx pops in to mind

my trans am is a bad thing to stop but is heavy

Latest model astra's stop well. Toyota Corollas have stopped well since the year dot. Post 2003 Micras do anchor up tidily - disgustingly well so, in fact, given it's small stature.

My Primera was good at the stopping thing.

Jaguar XK8 98 model is rubbish. As were all Ford Pumas. Felt like the Jag had the Pumas brakes ie. useless.

best breaks,i mean brakes;), are on the bora
worst performing were the fiestas
yes, i agree
i drove a golf once=(same braking system)and it was unbeleivable the stopping power in a VW
i think waynnes audi, or any german car has good brakes
they build powerful cars so good brakes are a must

i would say that the car with the best brakes i have been in has to be my dads old merc.

a C200 elegance.

slam on them an you will know all about it. normal abs just unlocks and locks the brakes faster than you could.

whereas on the merc it did it to eachwheel, basically frontleft,frontright,rearleft,rearright, all in the space of a second.

so you would hear THUDTHUDTHUDTHUD really quickly if you slam them on. (might have just been for tractioncontrol/abs in the snow, unsure but it did that when it was slick out)

worst, i would have to say, probably the 206 i learnt in a while ago.

All decent ABS systems are wheel by wheel with sensors on all of 'em. It's not so much thud thud as BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. If they thudder and judder then you're not applying enough force to the pedal.

But this thread is not about ABS, it's about stopping power. Tyres are a massive player here as well. Longitudinal grip is worth far more than ABS

Best brakes I ever used were on a Porsche 996 at Brands :toung: , for my own cars, the Scooby is definitely the best I've ever owned. The worst had to be the Mk II Cortina I tried to restore in my youth; would have stopped quicker if I'd opened the door and put my foot out:embarrest: