Being noticed in your car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you like being noticed in your car or do you prefer to blend into the background?

I try not to stand out too much, often my car is completely ignored judging by the number of people who pull out on me.

I have a friend who is into car bling in a big way, and he will drive around with the windows open and radio blaring. He actually said he likes being noticed and I just thought that is not for me at all.

Am I alone in this? Are you somewhere between our two extreme examples?

I used to be that guy with the stereo pounding away. Now I prefer the sound of my engine/exhaust :)

Annoyingly my car is particularly noticed by younger drivers in their hot hatches, thinking they can leave me behind at the lights; a lot of these newer sports hatches (Golf R for example) could leave me standing. So because I know what my car can and can't do I often just leave them to it; I'm not wasting my fuel.

I like to be noticed by those that appreciate the car for what it is and even when driving into Tesco to do the weekly shop I get some admiring glances and nods of approval.

I also like that fellow Impreza drivers give a little wave as pass each other on the road. That little acknowledgement of a fellow nutter/petrolhead.

When I get the finances freed I will updating the look of my car, but it will be subtle - nothing bling. I don't want to stand out, but I do want to be noticed by those that know what they are looking at.

The Beast is a tad noisy on the exhaust so I tend to get noticed by passers by, would I want to change this? Hell no, not for the money I invested in that system, but I do try and feather the throttle quietly around schools and suchlike.

I can't help but agree with Lunchmoney entirely on this one. I'm exactly the same

As do I Rudders, the fact that my car happens to be noisy and attracts attention is just one of those things I'm afraid. Change a £2.5K system to try and make the car quieter! Never happening. So I try to be careful around town and save the heavy throttle stuff for track and airfield runways ;)

As do I Rudders, the fact that my car happens to be noisy and attracts attention is just one of those things I'm afraid. Change a £2.5K system to try and make the car quieter! Never happening. So I try to be careful around town and save the heavy throttle stuff for track and airfield runways ;)
Fortunately for me I have a Milltek system which only makes noise when you hit the loud pedal. Works well and exactly what I want

Excellent, mine is a custom made system from Simpson Racing Exhaust. Took just over 6 days to make from start to finish, nothing is off the shelf even the pipe is rolled from a flat sheet and made as is the silencers, brackets, and turbo down pipe.

When my system was tested it was 90db loud / quiet and I try to not have the BOV to atmosphere noise when in local traffic so I tend to have a light foot on the throttle in that situation especially if Mr Plod is nearby ;b/ :)

I don't like to attract the wrong kind of attention. Id like drivers to respect me and my choice of car but wouldn't want too much attention.

I don't like to attract the wrong kind of attention. Id like drivers to respect me and my choice of car but wouldn't want too much attention.
I get that. Respect but not attention. The Audi RS badge is subtle and to those that appreciate cars garners respect but it's not in your face "LOOK AT ME".

i tend to stay in the background with my 'standard family estate', right up until i get a silly little boy racer revving his 1.0 with a bigbore exhaust at traffic lights next to me. My exhaust system is standard at the moment so still quiet, i only get noise if i floor it from the performance filter and dual air intake system.

I've noticed recently my cars drawing a lot more attention than it has done in the past. I've done loads of cosmetic work on it though, dropped, blacked out windows, lights wheels etc. So she does draw the eye now, which I actually really like but i think it's more because I've done all the work myself, it's a sense of pride really. Saying that, when my exhaust was first done and my modified girls sticker added I had a lot of idiots trying to race me etc. which annoyed me. Appreciation is nice though