Bad mods for a road car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I see many people tuning their cars but following a competition/motorsport route for max power.

In my opinion the following mods are not suitable for a daily driven road car.
  • Aggressive cam profile - tickover is lumpy and the car is hard to drive in traffic.
  • Low suspension (70mm drops) - on roads that are not perfectly smooth it is a real pain to have super hard, super low suspension.
  • Loud exhaust - you quite literally end up with a ringing in your ears after a long journey - why can't people learn that you can still have a quiet sport exhaust, noise is NOT an indicator of power.
  • Large turbos - with all the boost at the top end of the rev range the car will be sluggish and uneconomical to drive around town.
What are your thoughts on mods that are not suitable for a road car? Have you regretted any mods you've carried out to your car?

Extreme negative camber say 3+ degrees
Too high spring rates that tend to cause loss of traction/grip on anything other than billiard table smooth surfaces.

Developments are changing whats possible from a road car. Only 8 years ago a GT35 pushing say 600bhp was as much Power as would be considered road drivable Power. Now with the latest EFR Turbos you can have 900bhp with less lag than a GT35 was giving just that short time ago. As for cams with a Turbo engine keep the exhaust cam mild with smallish ports & you can run as wild an Inlet cam as is required to get the gases in then use mega Boost to up Torque . The result massive Torque curve & a car that just disappears when you push the throttle. Twin Scroll of course & 4 throttle bodies to further help the throttle response.

Low hanging body kits. So many of these get scraped on low bumps and kerbs and end up looking really shoddy.

I'd just like to add extreme camber and stretched tyres! Neither belong on road cars IMHO, it looks bad and adversely hampers performance.