Are We Just Getting Too Lazy

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
Ok theres a few on the forum who car remember the '80 :blink1: when cars were just an engine up front some wheels to put the power down. No ecu no power steering and could fix a car with nothing more than a hammer and a spanner set.

Nowadays we want lots of extras as standard. for instance
  • power steering
  • air con
  • traction control
  • alloys
  • electric windows
  • electric mirrors
  • electric seats
  • abs ( think this is now legally set unless an SVA car )
  • brake distribution
  • sat nav
  • cruise control
  • on board computer
all these add weight to the car and reduce performance of the cars but we, as a whole, want them on our cars. halve the things we dont use that much.
i.e traction control how many people in normal driving set the lights flashing, not many i bet ( not including most of the members on here ). worst thing is most people want it but turn it off Why?

Having driven a older Mx5 last week with no power steering or traction control and it was very heavy to drive but after 5 mins it felt fine driving it was only at very low speeds. As long as the car was moving forward it was easy enough.

How many items do you have on the car but dont use them ?

Air Con, Traction Control, Stability Management, ABS, Power Steering, Electric Windows, Several other lesser things...

I do turn off the Stability Management/Traction Control when I'm on a dry spirited drive round the countryside. Cos when I put power on in a corner with it on, it totally takes it away, flashing at me.

I take it off because its nice to challenge yourself, but its a great great function on day to day, half arsed driving.

I have the lot on mine and let's say that I use 'em all but could live without electric seats as they're such a weight burden.

I wish I had automatic transmission, too - I do miss that in traffic.

It's human to be lazy - why would I want to defy nature.

Just the other day I was wondering if I could get a softer return spring for the accelerator - it's getting hard work pushing that pedal down!!

Give me a go kart any day. I can't say I use my ABS much but it is handy. I rarely put on my aircon as this makes me feel even hotter when I get out plus the fact is I like the windows to be open. The elec windows at least for the driver are handy especially if they have one touch settings.

I don't have or want heated seats or traction control (the torque sensing diff is handy though), the Radio is an essential though.

The marketing depts always have to offer something new to make it worthwhile upgrading.

So on your list I would want Alloys, ABS is nice to have in case, Power steering is essential with wide heavy wheels - try turning the wheel with the PAS pump off!

A lot of the things you mention as "pointless extras" are pretty important safety features. A car with power steering, traction control and ABS is as a whole, an easier car to drive. If you need to roll down your windows or adjust your mirrors then having the electrical capability to do makes the procedure less dangerous if your trying to drive at the same time.

AirCon, SatNav, Computers, Electric / Heated seats are luxury items that are found on the over prices cars such as mercs & beamers.

Alloys look good but they also allow the breaks more breathing space, enhancing your breaking system. Cruise control can be used for greater good sometimes like sticking to speed limits on the roads and when going through speed camera's. But its just like automatic cars, its for lazy drivers.

Last edited:
Yep, got cruise control too. At least it's light, it's just part of the main ECU - no heavy bits. Doesn't stop me speeding though. I just end up setting ever higher speeds throughout a trip.

Your point about alloys and cooling for brakes is interesting. It's not so much airflow through the wheels that helps cooling, it's having a big lump of aluminium alloy bolted to the hub/brake assembly. Aluminium is a very good heat conductor and it acts as a heatsink. OK, eventually heat is dissipated to the atmosphere but the alloy wheel is a useful buffer.

Yep, got cruise control too. At least it's light, it's just part of the main ECU - no heavy bits. Doesn't stop me speeding though. I just end up setting ever higher speeds throughout a trip.

Your point about alloys and cooling for brakes is interesting. It's not so much airflow through the wheels that helps cooling, it's having a big lump of aluminium alloy bolted to the hub/brake assembly. Aluminium is a very good heat conductor and it acts as a heatsink. OK, eventually heat is dissipated to the atmosphere but the alloy wheel is a useful buffer.

I wasn't 100% sure on the specifics on how alloys increase breaking performance but I knew they did and that it was something to do with cooling. As for the my cruise control argument, I don't mean they stop you from breaking speed limits but they can help you maintain control of the vehicle. Personally, I like going a little fast on motorways but Im sure a lot of people are happy enough accelerating to 70 and sticking on CC for the next "whatever" miles. Plus you could accelerate to 28/29 mph and stick on CC a few seconds before you pass through a speed camera.

A lot of the things you mention as "pointless extras" are pretty important safety features. A car with power steering, traction control and ABS is as a whole, an easier car to drive. If you need to roll down your windows or adjust your mirrors then having the electrical capability to do makes the procedure less dangerous if your trying to drive at the same time.

AirCon, SatNav, Computers, Electric / Heated seats are luxury items that are found on the over prices cars such as mercs & beamers.

Alloys look good but they also allow the breaks more breathing space, enhancing your breaking system. Cruise control can be used for greater good sometimes like sticking to speed limits on the roads and when going through speed camera's. But its just like automatic cars, its for lazy drivers.

like i said about the ABS i think its now to be on the car legally unless its a home built car thats been through a SVA test. yes it does make the car safer.
power steering like i said after 5 mins of driving around without it. it felt normal until i slowed right down to a walking pace.
electric mirrors you shouldnt be adjusting while driving they should be set before moving off. so not really any need for these
electric windows again theres no need other than ease of use.
Air con is pretty much standard on every car now. it proberly uses more fuel than the drag caused by having the windows open.
compters are pretty much standard as well now, i want taking about big ones but the small one built into the dash. tells you your average speed fuel consumption how much is left in the tank.
the satnav how many use it other than when you go on a long journey to somewhere youve never been before ?

the alloys you are right thou. it does create more space around the disc to allow them to coolbetter but only when they are larger than the standard steels. but they are mainly fitted cause they look better.

other things i forgot to mention are things like auto wipers and lights. if you cant tell its dark or raining then i think you shouldnt be driving

i will admit ive got most of the things that were on the list except the sat nav, and heated seats. havent got cruise control as yet but looking at getting it retro fitted simply for when i sell the car.

i just wanted to see what everyone else's views were on all this extra equipment

I like the option to have extra equipment in my car, e.g. air con is a good thing to have in the summer, but I don't tend to use these aids either.

• power steering
  • air con
  • traction control
  • alloys
  • electric windows
  • electric mirrors
  • electric seats
  • abs ( think this is now legally set unless an SVA car )
  • brake distribution
  • sat nav
  • cruise control
  • on board computer

Well, from this list, my Fabia has: Power steering. That's it.

I think ABS is the main thing I would want from the list, but I am grateful that I've learnt to drive without it :)

the fabia should also have abs and the computer ( red matrix inbetween the speedo and rev counter )

Unfortunately for me there's no ABS on the 2001 Classic Fabia 1.4 8v. No computer either. Oh well. I'm pretty sure the 16v version has ABS though :)

Last edited:
Are we getting lazy? Yes we take the car for journeys we could walk in under 20 minutes. The gadgets in cars are because our expectations are better. We judge things by the size of the instruction book ie. the more complex the better.

Well, from this list, my Fabia has: Power steering. That's it.

I think ABS is the main thing I would want from the list, but I am grateful that I've learnt to drive without it :)

My car only has (from the list) Power Steering, Electric Windows, Alloys, ABS and Sat Nav (not built in).

I just don't think we need all the gadgets. Caterham have the right idea.