Are cars meant to be driven hard

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think cars are meant to be driven hard? Does it do any harm or would you say it does them some good to have a good thrashing one in a while?

How hard do you drive your car?

Wouldn't say driving them hard all the time is any good, infact that would wear out all components a lot faster, I mean everything is working harder, brakes, discs, tyres, engine, suspension components, all are taking quite a beating. That said, a lot of stop and go town driving does the same. What is good for the car is the open road long journeys, after lots of town driving cars get lazy and sluggish and the best safest way to bring them back to life is with a nice long highway drive. I drive my car very cruisy some days and very spirited the next, depends on my mood and the song on the radio.

Can't see the point in buying a sporty car of any make if you never explore its limits or yours, on the track. What's the point ( other than feel good self image ) of having for instance say a M badged BMW ,AMG , Audi RS when the same shape without the extra badges would still take you all the places where you want to be seen .
Have been held up behind all of the above being driven well below the speed limits by mainly drivers who appear to have emigrated here ( trying to be politically correct & not racist )
PS would love to own all of the above and many others but sadly out of reach for me and freely admit to being a little envious .

Last edited:
Some times I like to give my ZR a good go on the back roads out my way... All ways let a car warm up aswell. Annoys me when I see fellow drivers ragging there cars and all this white smoke is pouring out.

Wouldn't say driving them hard all the time is any good, infact that would wear out all components a lot faster, I mean everything is working harder, brakes, discs, tyres, engine, suspension components, all are taking quite a beating. That said, a lot of stop and go town driving does the same. What is good for the car is the open road long journeys, after lots of town driving cars get lazy and sluggish and the best safest way to bring them back to life is with a nice long highway drive. I drive my car very cruisy some days and very spirited the next, depends on my mood and the song on the radio.

+ 1;)

If everyone drove their cars hard there would be a lot more room for me, although there may be some drainage issues due to the number of cars in ditches.

Most people have never driven a car hard. Of the few that have, most haven't got a clue about how to go about it safely.

I hope this isnt a inside joke about me :(

No, I have no idea on your level of driving skill so I am unable to comment. It was a general observation based on 43 years of experiencing British drivers.

Hopefully, there are no inside jokes on this site.

I hope this isnt a inside joke about me :(

wouldnt worry theres no inside jokes here we make then obvious enough.

anyway yes cars should be driven hard every so often. doesnt nessessary mean that you have to drive it right to the red line in every gear every time - well unless your a 17 year old in a corsa with 7 other folk in the car

Yep them corsas/chavmobiles with argos exhausts!
They are a disease where I live its fun to make them look silly though.:lol:

Corsa - attach a lighted fireworks-night sparkler to the roof aerial. You car looks like a fairground dodgem so why not complete the image :D

If you can afford the fuel and it's not a danger to anyone else then yes, give it some beans now and then. Don't drive like a complete tool all the time hooning it around cutting people up though. In my experience I have found it's the slower more hesitant and plod-along drivers that end up causing the most issues on the road. Stopping in the middle of a roundabout for instance. Retarded. Not actually knowing how roundabouts work or give ways, not indicating. Wow i could go on and on.....but i wont......not just yet.......lol

Hard driving doesn't have to mean silly or dangerous driving.

It's all down to interpretation and attitude.

Taking a fully warmed engine to the red line is far less 'hard' that taking a stone cold one 85% of the way to the red line.