Arctic weather warning

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Apparently the Arctic weather is on the way (2 months earlier this year).

Forecasts are for SNOW and ICE in the NORTHERN areas of the UK by late this week:amazed: (Expect a bit of Frost! They are no doubt overstating it again!)

Any tips for winter driving so at least we are ready. Here in the UK we get snow quite bad. It's been know for an inch of Snow to bring the country to its knees! :lol: (This is sadly very true:blink:.)

What do you do in countries that have real SNOW to deal with.

be luckly for kent to get any normaly we miss it but will be fn this year driving the trans am in the snow its bad in the rain nearly had a lamp post over the other day but lucky it griped in time

but snow its going to crash

an inch dang that aint even enough for the kids to play in. growing up we had a storm one year that literally snowed us in. went to open the door to go to school and couldn't get out. It was normally dark when i got up for school so didn't notice it until then.

normally you just grab your snow tires/chains and pay attention to the road. don't eat, use the cellphone, drink coffee, adjust the radio or any of that. not uncommon for it to rain or sleet during a snow storm or right after. packed snow and water don't mix well, or rather they mix well just not for drivers.

also make sure your heater is working, you get stuck in a drift on the wrong road or even the right road and you might be there for a bit. nothin worse than freezing your rear off while waiting for help.

I personally have a full winter emergency kit in my truck. the little 12v heaters you can pick up at walmart that plug into cigarette lighters work wonders. not much heat but when you have 6 of em going they keep you warm. a few thermal blankets and some hand warmer pads will help as well. once took the tow truck 4 1/2 hours to get to me. was sure glad i had all that.

a tip i figured out a couple of years ago is when you come to a hill and its really icy drive up it on the tickover and you should have no problem this works in petrols and diesels

whats a tickover? never heard the term before.
it means the same as idling
a brief description of what i mean in 1st gear lift the clutch to the bite then raise it a little more till the car starts moving but without using the accelerator comes in handy especially where i live

I know this sounds excessive but if you need to drive up a slippery incline in a FWD car and you don't have adequate traction, try doing it in reverse.

we just use studded snow tires and chains and if that aint enough bring out the fence posts and the winch. that or get a bunch of speed leading up to the hill (not recomended unless you have someone scout the hill first, don't wanna run into a stalled car, cow, ect...)

i passed a year ago so never driven in the snow or anything like that really bad rain yes snow no so its going to be a big learning curve for me if we get it in kent

General trick is slow and steady - pretend you've a tall glass of water balanced on your parcel shelf and if your too agressive it'll spill or fall over.

i passed a year ago so never driven in the snow or anything like that really bad rain yes snow no so its going to be a big learning curve for me if we get it in kent

You'll get through it mate. The fact that you've flagged it up as a big learning curve suggests that you're already thinking it through.

Just give yourself a reasonable extra bit of time for your journeys and then take your time on those journeys. Don't go mad. If your usual 20 minute drives is likely to take four hours then stay at home and leave the other wage slaves to it - you can bet the boss will be at home anyway!

If you are caught out and have to drive in absolutely crappy conditions then most importantly you need to be able to see and be seen so lights ON, and, secondly keep the car warm inside so you're comfortable.

Driving wise, just keep your speeds down and basically no sudden changes to steering or braking.

It really isn't rocket science and it's unfair that we all accuse new drivers of being bad, when, in fact, some, like you are thinking about this already.

Rgds,

P.

General trick is slow and steady - pretend you've a tall glass of water balanced on your parcel shelf and if your too agressive it'll spill or fall over.

An ruin my speakers lol. I'll believe it when I see it. But I just drive nice and steady. Used to have a play but don't anymore. If we do get it bad i'll maybe drop a bit of pressure out of my tires. I really don't think we'll get enough to really bother the roads. I maybe wrong though.

just dont use you handbrake :blink1:. its easy enough if you treat it with care no harsh inputs with steering braking or acceleration. also if youve got the option switch off ABS when on the snow and give youself a hell of a lot more stopping distance
But as your in kent youll not see the snow

were not to bad up here being on the west coast most of the bad weathers gets dropped off before the lowlands worst ive had to drive in was around 3" on the road however getting it out the car park was alot more fun try around a foot of snow

Thanks for the tips guys. And it don't look like much is going to happen soon in the sense of snow. Some days its very cold but still just rains lol

Its moved to Sunday now!

Its worth noting that uncompressed snow actually gives much better grip than slush. A lot of new drivers think its the other way round and head for the icy compacted slush!

Also START OFF in second gear. There will be less likelyhood of a sideslip if you do this and you get traction more easily.

if it snows or not i will be out got a trans am meet nr Ipswich so if it does snow i will be more side ways then normal

but am going to look at that heater tomorrow as it does not work but its not to cold yet still t shirt weather at the mo