Alloys and insurance

WindyMillar1995

Car
Ford Fiesta 2001
I have a 2002 Ford Fiesta 1.3, everything on it is original but I want to buy some new alloys for it (not blowing loads of money on it, don't worry) but I don't know whether I have to tell my insurance about it and if so will it put my premiums up? I am currently with the co-op young drivers insurance scheme, any help would be appreciated

If your buying genuine ford alloys, and you have an acident, you can claim they came with the car, and say they are standard, as a lot of cars come with standard alloys now days.

If they are aftermarket one's, then by rights you should tell them, and depending on age, they will slate you for them.

They are aftermarket, my friend had them on his fiesta, exactly the same as mine but he's had it lowered so they're too big, im 17 so ill give them a ring and ask about it, if they try and rip me off ill just leave it, thanks for replying man :)

^^^ Ouch! That price is just not even funny :sad2:

I feel sorry for the young drivers who cannot even put wheels on a car without being mugged by the insurance man. Ford do quite a nice selection of alloy wheels buddy, try the breakers yard or wheel shops for their part exchanges.

^^^ Ouch! That price is just not even funny :sad2:

I feel sorry for the young drivers who cannot even put wheels on a car without being mugged by the insurance man. Ford do quite a nice selection of alloy wheels buddy, try the breakers yard or wheel shops for their part exchanges.

Hay, I'm old now. I have been offered a years insurance for £420 fully comp for the Evo!!! :D

:(

I know. I had my birthday last month, and I kid you not. The next morning it took me about 5 min to have my morning pee!! I found myself listning to Johnny Cash last sunday. And I have also had developed an interest in old oil sign's.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME!!!

How does it work over there? Is it based on the person rather than the car?

Always best to enquire first before doing any mods. They will probably hike it to discourage modifying. Insurance is fair game for youngsters these days. I pay around £440 all in on my modified MG insurance, everything is declared and covered like-for-like. Could be cheaper if I paid it in one lump.

last i heard it was based on the person. 1st car was expensive but adding a second car was pennies.

BBJ isnt far off i had a hike of £400 for the alloys on my civic. thought a cheap set of alloys and the insurance increase would be cheaper than replacing the 3 i bent

How does it work over there? Is it based on the person rather than the car?

last i heard it was based on the person. 1st car was expensive but adding a second car was pennies.

BBJ isnt far off i had a hike of £400 for the alloys on my civic. thought a cheap set of alloys and the insurance increase would be cheaper than replacing the 3 i bent

Basically. Young people do have higher insurance rates but it's nowhere near the level of insanity if is in the UK. I find they assume young drivers are the worst, which is often wrong. I'll be honest, the worst drivers I know are usually old people. The think because they've been driving so long that they know everything and can do no wrong.

I remember reading an article a while back about an old man who was so offended when pulled over by a cop who accused him of speeding, he tried to take off. Unfortunately, he put the car in reverse and the rear end of his Toyota wound up on top of the police cruiser.

The only problem with the assumption that old people are worse than young people are the age group accident rates. If old people were a greater risk than young people their insurance rates would reflect that.

The only problem with the assumption that old people are worse than young people are the age group accident rates. If old people were a greater risk than young people their insurance rates would reflect that.

it will come eventually look at how they raised womens insurance;)

And young peple don't?

These make the news because they are rare. Crashes involving teenagers are common so aren't news so they aren't reported.

Last edited:
It will come eventually. I read articles all the time of old people crashing into buildings. There was one recently where a cop pulled over a guy in a Camaro because a piece of a street sign was stuck in his head.

The insurance rates would go up if this were true in the uk . Luckily us old people seem to be able to avoid the buildings over here

The reason yoinger people have more accidents overall , and it is a fact that they do is that they have LESS EXPERIENCE

Show me anything you are better at the first time

About time. It was sexist.

Womens only insurance company's and the like.

Well Sheela can go spin on it now!!

you've got it backwards joe the mens prices should have come down to be inline with the womens;)

and leave sheelas wheels alone thats who im insured with:toung:

you've got it backwards joe the mens prices should have come down to be inline with the womens;)

and leave sheelas wheels alone thats who im insured with:toung:

Nha, I'm quite happy paying over the odds, if it means I can see the miserable look on womens faces when they too, for once have to pay over the odds for something. :)

I'm now classed as old, so expensive insurance is a thing of the past. :toung: