Buy alloys & tyres or refub and get new tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I had a dilemma, my existing alloys look rough. The tyres are shockingly near the legal limit.

Tyres run at £100 each = £400
Alloy finishing would cost around £200

I looked on ebay and got a set of part worn alloys, in the Le Mans style from a newer style A3 for £400 and it came with tyres showing 4mm-6mm tread depth. They are not perfect but in far better condition than my old ones.

Do you think I did well here? Would you have thought to look at used alloys when needing new tyres?

I've had trouble in the past with alloy wheels corroding around the outer edge ie underneath the tyre bead and causing slow punctures. If i had two or more alloys on my car leaking like that and was due for new tyres I'd go for alloys and wheels.

You take a bit of a chance on e-bay,I got lucky with a spare 18" wheel for my Zetec S.
Bought the wheel for £80.00 which was identical to the wheels on the car.I had to fit a new tyre which was another £80.So for £160 I was very pleased and especially when Ford quoted me £250 just for the alloy wheel with no tyre.
But I do agree alloy wheels are very expensive these days,but what do you do ?

You take a bit of a chance on e-bay,I got lucky with a spare 18" wheel for my Zetec S.
Bought the wheel for £80.00 which was identical to the wheels on the car.I had to fit a new tyre which was another £80.So for £160 I was very pleased and especially when Ford quoted me £250 just for the alloy wheel with no tyre.
But I do agree alloy wheels are very expensive these days,but what do you do ?
If you read the sellers reviews and they have a good reputation I'd say you are safe. There is always an element of risk though but that is more than made up for with the savings you make.

Sellers often accept offers on items if they have been up for sale for a while.