Against everything I believe in

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
"Against everything I believe in"
Yeah i don{t believe in depreciation, that{s for the suckers, I don{t like to waste money on motors because they look nice. Cosmetics are for women. i can{t stand 4x4{s (even though my main car here is a 4x4) But I really want a Porsche Cayenne (in White), nothing looks better on a sunny day, no good in england then! Don{t know why but just want one. Probably tempermental anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Against everything I believe in"
Yeah i don{t believe in depreciation, that{s for the suckers, I don{t like to waste money on motors because they look nice. Cosmetics are for women. i can{t stand 4x4{s (even though my main car here is a 4x4) But I really want a Porsche Cayenne (in White), nothing looks better on a sunny day, no good in england then! Don{t know why but just want one. Probably tempermental anyway?

I'd say your biggest issue is an inability to use the ' key instead of the { key :p

There's nothing wrong with depreciation imo and there's definately no way to stop it regarding "normal" cars. You buy a car, you enjoy it, who cares? If depreciation worries you then you don't have enough money.

No you are wrong, depreacion is for suckers. Like I said before a friend baught a new audi for £19k, the same year I month a piece of land for £19k, 5 years later his car is worth a little over £4k, within 3 years the land was worth £60k. he was a sucker and because I don't do depreacion I have no money worries, (just an example) You wait long enough any car becomes a bargain, another example, I allways wanted an SEC, the 5l and 560 were somewhere around £75k in the early ninties, I waited and picked up an immaculate SEC 500 A few years back for £2k, drove it for six months and sold it for enough to cover all my running costs, wheras no doubt some sucker baught a brand new 1.6 ford (so called normal car) and had to endure driving it for 6 months and lost a fortune.
The typing, I was using a local PC and the keyboard was set for Spanish speaking users so I had no idea where the ' was?

Unless you buy a 100 quid snotter all cars depreciate, it's just the way it is, so buy what you want and enjoy driving it.

It's a bit like house prices going down, if you dont want to sell and your job is ok, then does it really matter?

I did buy a newish car once, a 1999 Alfa 156 2.5 V6 s3, I paid just under £7k,, the car was exactly 2 years old, new it cost well over £20k, So the owners lost £13k in 2 years, I sold it less than a year later and lost almost £2k myself. I'm sorry but I don't get up in the morning to loose money, if i did I would never bother going to work. It's far better to get up with the intention to make money. sure people have to buy new cars in order for us to enjoy second hand cars and good on them, but remember most new cars are company and fleet purchases not the general public. And I sincerely believe most people buy new cars not to enjoy the cars but to impress thier peers (neighbours etc) That is why I said before, good looks are for other people and again I ain't gonna waste my hard earned on other peoples perceptions of me. A fact, 99% of people buy cars for how they look on the outside, well I don't know about you but I sit inside my cars. buy low from unorthodox sources and sell high or at least even.
While were on the subject i also believe every decent motor has a cheap equal, M5=monaro=xjr etc, 911 =alpine gta, 968=200sx etc. The enjoyment can be had without the expense.
But at the end of the day a £100 car can give as many grins as a £25k car, maybe more. My old 205 cost me £100, drove it every day for 18 months and man, "what a laugh" I wouldn't have got those thrills in many of the newer cars which cost ££££££££££'s more. Still I do like that Porsche Cayenne in white though. Wifey wants an RX300 though, simple buy direct from Japan, see cheap (£1k in Japan, £4/5k in UK) No probs.

I would never buy a new car unless I could afford not to work in the first place, however loosing money on a XJS is a bit different as I could not see myself getting rid of it until I had got my moneys worth anyway.

A prime example of my grandfather buying a brand new 05 accord at 21k with quite a few options is now worth less than 8k, buying brand new japanese for something like a Nissan GTR however even in a economic climate like this will not loose you much money.

I mostly go for old, high mileage prestige cars which i know can be sold in a hurry. better to buy an old gas guzzler than a new diesel. the 20mpg car will be much cheaper to run over a few years when you take depreciation into consideration, yet alone any finance that may have been used