Another Battle in the War against the Motorist

On spot fines for tailgating, undertaking

The UK police now have powers to fine drivers on the spot issuing fixed penalty fines for careless driving.

Offences include tailgating, undertaking, cutting up drivers and anything else that could be construed as careless driving.

Personally I'd like to see these offences go to court and let each one be judged on thier own merits. Careless driving is too subjective for a fixed penalty system IMO.

What are your thoughts on this.

Why don't they list hogging the centre lane as careless driving?

Thanks Waynne,
I agree, the matter is far too subjective to just fine people on the spot, cynically, I think these new powers will just be an excuse to pull over and fine anybody they like for the income it generates. It was said a little while ago that the police have to make cuts because of funding problems, don't they have anything to do, where would it end?

It won't be long now until we have to be handcuffed to the steering wheel wearing blinkers and a straight jacket to be able to drive, to stop you doing anything you "shouldn't" be doing.

The general driving standard in the UK is not too bad. We all still see shockingly bad examples of driving and I suppose press releases like this might focus a few minds.

I applaud the idea, where momentary lapses, ignorance and general lack of skill are addressed with tips/driver training/advice and serious lapses are met with a FP notice. In reality though I wonder how well it will work.

this is terrible, if the police have something against you personally this could cause real problems as they do, as in most professions (i.e. theiving scummy lawyers) act as a gang.

Come here, Vietnam, if you want to see bad, or more rightly, careless driving. I actually think UK drives, in general, should be applauded for the way they drive and not continually hounded.

Re: On spot fines for tailgating, undertaking

Personally I'd like to see these offences go to court and let each one be judged on thier own merits. Careless driving is too subjective for a fixed penalty system IMO
Agreed. Careless driving is one thing, dangerous driving COULD end in a prison sentance.

I don't think they should be able to fine us on the spot, as every situation is different and every situation is for a reason. Although I do think it is a good idea, it might stop a few folk doing it. I would like to see the same thing for old people doing 25mph in a 60 aswell.