Torque Cars

A magnet - the vital tool you should always have

Discussion in 'Tools & Garage' started by obi_waynne, 1 February 2011.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    How many of your lives have been saved by a magnet? I'm sure we've all dropped a screw or metal part in some silly hard to reach place and I know that without a small magnet on a telescopic probe I'd have been totally stuffed.

2. ronniecalcutta

ronniecalcutta Road Burner

India, Kolkata
    Car:
    Hyundai Accent
    Never while in workshop, but dropped my keys inside a sewerage once & a piece of magnet helped me enter my home...

3. geraint13

geraint13 Pro Tuner

Caerphilly, Wales
    Car:
    Zafira 1.9 SRI
    always good on the fridge !!!! lmao

4. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    I've often dropped the PLASTIC lids from screenwash bottles when filling up the 'wash tank.

5. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    If you can afford it, get one that can be switched on and off. This makes it SO much easier when trying to wriggle (the magnet) into confined spaces on metal cars.

6. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    But if your working on one of those plastic cars then you won't need one....... :D

7. bigbadjoe

bigbadjoe Pro Tuner

Elgin - Scotland
    Car:
    Evo 8 @ 400bhp
    I like the little magnetic tins that you stick in your engine bay when your working in there. They are verry handy.

Mind saying that, no size of magnet would have gotten my socket out from my spark plug hole in my old prelude. I squeezed it in, and when taking it out, the thing poped off at the seal. Looked a right tit.

How to nacker an engine in 30 seconds. Give it to me for a service! lol :p

8. boostnturbos

boostnturbos Torque Junkie

Ireland, donegal
    Car:
    BMW 318ci SE
    they very handy wen i dropped a nut inside a manifold. my bro said leave it in there shel blow it out or mash it up sum one o the two. i thought its a 300zx tt, im not gona be the man to tell the owner that a 8mm nut caused 2k worth o damage to his prize winning fairlady.

9. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Someone told you to leave a piece of metal in a car engine that can spin at up to 120 times a second?

Don't take his advice on girls or money. Or anything else really.

10. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    ^^^ What he said! x 2 ^^^

11. boostnturbos

boostnturbos Torque Junkie

Ireland, donegal
    Car:
    BMW 318ci SE
    he dsnt have a girlfriend or a paying job, works on the family farm for nothing. me tinks your advice is sound. he was messing so payd no heed.

12. gummy

gummy Torque Master

england heathfield
    Car:
    skyline r34 gtt
    dropped a torx bit down a push rod hole on a ford pinto engine once,magnet was a life saver that day,good thing to have in a tool kit!!!!.

13. T9 man

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    I have one on the end of a telescopic rod with built in illumination, it is so cool and an essential tool to have in your toolkit :D

14. gummy

gummy Torque Master

england heathfield
    Car:
    skyline r34 gtt
    yep thats a posher one than mine!,mines just like a pen where the magnet exstends out the end,but i do have a thin torch which is flexible on the end ,a bit like a fat pen with a flexible arial on the end!!! handy up behind the dash etc.

15. T9 man

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Worth it's weight in gold, it extends out up to 500mm and you can get them from Maplin electronics.

[​IMG]