A magnet - the vital tool you should always have

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How many of your lives have been saved by a magnet? I'm sure we've all dropped a screw or metal part in some silly hard to reach place and I know that without a small magnet on a telescopic probe I'd have been totally stuffed.

If you can afford it, get one that can be switched on and off. This makes it SO much easier when trying to wriggle (the magnet) into confined spaces on metal cars.

I like the little magnetic tins that you stick in your engine bay when your working in there. They are verry handy.

Mind saying that, no size of magnet would have gotten my socket out from my spark plug hole in my old prelude. I squeezed it in, and when taking it out, the thing poped off at the seal. Looked a right tit.

How to nacker an engine in 30 seconds. Give it to me for a service! lol :p

they very handy wen i dropped a nut inside a manifold. my bro said leave it in there shel blow it out or mash it up sum one o the two. i thought its a 300zx tt, im not gona be the man to tell the owner that a 8mm nut caused 2k worth o damage to his prize winning fairlady.

Someone told you to leave a piece of metal in a car engine that can spin at up to 120 times a second?

Don't take his advice on girls or money. Or anything else really.

dropped a torx bit down a push rod hole on a ford pinto engine once,magnet was a life saver that day,good thing to have in a tool kit!!!!.

I have one on the end of a telescopic rod with built in illumination, it is so cool and an essential tool to have in your toolkit :D

yep thats a posher one than mine!,mines just like a pen where the magnet exstends out the end,but i do have a thin torch which is flexible on the end ,a bit like a fat pen with a flexible arial on the end!!! handy up behind the dash etc.

Worth it's weight in gold, it extends out up to 500mm and you can get them from Maplin electronics.

magtorch.jpg