5 cylinder engines

Car
Audi 2.3
hi guys just wondering if anyone could tell me what the differnce is on a audi 90 2.3 5 cylinder and a audi 100 2.3 5 cylinder as the 90 has 170bhp and the 100 had 136? i have trying finding out but have had no luck not even on the audi forums

cheers

a 1990 audi 90 2.3 20v uk spec and a audi 1990 100 2.3 10v uk spec, as far as im aware the 90 came in both 10v and 20v with the same bhp and torque due to slight differences with the exhaust manifold and ecu.

but the audi 100 comes with a 2.3 10v whitch only produces 136bhp but this is an auto where as the rest are manual but that shouldnt give that much of a loss of ponys?

cheers

the 20v is naturally aspirated, its the s2 whitch is turbo`d. im not sure if the diffrence could just be a ecu? this question has been irratating me for months now not even audi know lol

The Audi 200 was available in naturally aspirated and turbocharged form. 2144cc 5 cylinder engine I think in that application.

Try this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_100

Much as I'm not a great fan of Wikipedia it can be useful as a starting point.

What this tells me is that there are far more engines for Audi models than I ever thought there was.

Lots more research required methinks

Last edited:
The Audi 200 was available in naturally aspirated and turbocharged form. 2144cc 5 cylinder engine I think in that application.

Try this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_100

Much as I'm not a great fan of Wikipedia it can be useful as a starting point.

What this tells me is that there are far more engines for Audi models than I ever thought there was.

Snap. Can get quite confusing can't it.

yes there is only one 2.3 for the 100/200 but the same engine was used in the 90 quattro but has about 50 bhp more for some strange reason? just wondering if they de-tuned it and how?

cheers

MIGHT, just be getting somwhere. Fingers crossed

I've found a 170PS 2.3 litre 20 valve five cylinder listed here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_80 (Scroll down about halfway - there's a small section on the 90 engines.

It's not the power hike you mention"", this is only 170bhp but it is definitely 20 valve (4 per cylinder) when the other 2.3 is a ten valve arrangement.

**EDIT I've just re-read your first post and I think this is what we're looking for

Let me know if we're on the right track

Kind regards,

Paul.

Last edited:
yes that is the one! do you see why im confused? lol they made that 20v engine in 10v with the same bhp (manifold and ecu changes) but i have they 20v 5 cylinder same as the 90. but how is the bhp different? 170 to 136? its just soooo random?

cheers

yes that is the one! do you see why im confused? lol they made that 20v engine in 10v with the same bhp (manifold and ecu changes) but i have they 20v 5 cylinder same as the 90. but how is the bhp different? 170 to 136? its just soooo random?

cheers

It could also be with the introduction of stricter emissions controls that the 20v head was used.

Here's another guess:- Audi's engine designers developed a 20 valve head and expected to get much more than 170bhp with it. That only got 170bhp so they de-tuned the 10 valve to make the difference look more enticing to potential buyers.

Did they use all the engines simlutaneously? That's something else we could look into. During the early 1990's the emissions legislation really tightened up in Europe and many makers were left with engines that were bereft of power and torque as a result.

It's an interesting saga though. I'm not always sure that more valves equates to a better drive.

Take the Golf GTi MkIII.

2.0 16 valve - quick but revvy. In all normal driving I far preferred the 2.0 eight valve engine for its get up and go in any gear kind of feel.

Keep searching - I will do likewise :)

i agree with the golf the gti mk2 8v is quicker than the 16v. as far as im aware they did use them all at the same time its just trying to find out how they de tuned it. my first guess would be with the ecu? i know on the 10v 90 they had a 5 branch manifold but not on the 20v they upgraded the ecu confusing i know! that could be a start anyway lol cheers for all you help i really apperiate it!

cheers