306 GTI Mods

jp12606

Car
306 2.0L XSI
Hi there,

Just bought a P reg 306 2.0L xsi standard car nothing changed as yet.... we are wanting to know what we can change or upgrade to get more power and better handling as we are wanting to use this car on the track..

any help would be great...

Thanks

for the track look at weight reduction this will help both handling and power to weight ratio.
nice easy start and practically free as long as you have basic tools

sorry cant help on the engine as dont know it that well jarrus will be the man to ask.

sticky tyres and good suspension setup will be your other friend, look for decent setups that allow as much adjustment as possible rather than your ebay specials

Welcome to the forum :)
For track work then KW do some nice coilovers which is the best to go for on the track,
gti6 front brakes or 206 gti180 front brakes 15" alloys if you haven't got them already
your rear beam is the same as you get on the gti6 so that doesn't need a change but a spoox motorsport rear arb is a worth while upgrade and some baker bm group a rear beam mounts

the xsi engine is basically the same as you get in the gti6 so it really depend on what direction you want to go, did you want to stay with NASP or did you want some forced induction?, and how deep are your pockets?

hi thanks for that's great stuff.. its only 8V... money isnt the thing as we have time, i think just the basic stuff to start with then build from that....

Thanks

Ah right it's different to the gti6 engine then,
you can fit a 205 1.9 gti cam in it, that will bring some gains
and a Decat is good as well, I wouldn't bother too much with the induction system, light weight fly wheel, and an LSD is a good addition,
also a 205 1.6 gti gearbox is good as it has closer ratios which is better for the track
personally though I would upgrade to a gti6 engine as they can be had for very little money, to fit the 6 speed gearbox will require moddification to the steering rack

All the suspension stuff applies the same as I said before,
but braided brake lines are a must really on a track day car, as well as some power flex bushes or solid bushes
lynx power engineering do some solid roller bearing bushes

that's for your help.. looks like we have alot of work ahead of us.... no rush as i also have a subaru sti track day.. the 306 was for some extra fun...

Thanks again for your help

Does seem a lot yeah but the 306 makes a brilliant track car and people don't give it the credit it deserves,
obviously you need to strip interior, roll cages and harness' are fairly easy to fit, but replacing the suspension bushes are a must cause the standard ones are garbage, even for a road car so a track car will destroy them instantly, there's sound deadening behind the dash as well so that would need to come out and there are plenty of carbon fibre and fibre glass body parts avaliable for it,
best place to check is spooks motorsport,
there is actually a lot of mods are avaliable for this motor so te skies the limit really

Hi if we decied to change the engine to a gti6 one can we leave the 5 speed box, or do we have to change it to a 6 speed..?

Thanks

JP

Yes you can leave the gearbox,

however I would still say you need to get a gearbox with shorter gears to fully exploit the engine, like i suggested the 205 gti 1.6 is the best choice and is what most people use,
it will only give a top speed of 120 mph but the acceleration will be superior especially on a more twisty track like brands hatch

just looking in to sorting out the suspension front and rear.. anyone got any advice on what type to pruchase there's so many.. was looking at spax none adj ones for rear and front lowering the car 30MM... any advice will be good...

Thanks

thanks for your reply... cheap as poss really but something that will last found some suspension kits on the web for £180 but dont have a name but are TUV approved.. really would pay more for named ones.... guessing you get what you pay for...

Eibach prokit springs would be a good start, they lower 30mm, I'd replace the rear beam mounts for solid ones group a, there avaliable from baker bm, search for them on google,
Powerflex front bushes, them if you got change the ethier bilstien b8 dampers or koni adjustables are good,

thanks alot for your advice just purchased a coilover as there appear to be the best...

got another question now.. removed the old steering wheel to fit a none air bag, what the hell do you do with the air bag lead/connector..?

remove it all, the air bag control unit is under the centre console at the back by the bulk head an it should be on the floor or the transmission tunel if you can call it that, remove the plastic that surrounds the gear stick and the handbrake lever, then you should see to the back of there under the dash board and there should be a silver box on the floor with some wires coming out, thats the air bag control unit,
i suggest you do a proper job a remove it all,

what coilovers did you buy then?

Last edited: