200 tdi power problems

boostnturbos

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ci SE
my father bought a 95 land rover discovery a month ago now and the main problems we have with her is she drinks diesel like no mans business plus she wouldn't pull you outa bed. now a mean she stand clear dead, border line av2 drop her into the low box to take off on a small hill. i defo cant see her pulling a tonne without stalling. the trooper she replaced pulled 2t plus many times with no problem, plus still got 30mpg. the disco not doing 15mpg!!!!

sombody told me to screw out the diesel pump, give her a bit more jip, cant see that helping the mpg problem. this is the 1st land rover wev ever had so have no previous experience with one but i cant see how they wer soo popular? no power and very low mpg wouldn't be the best selling point.

whats wrong and if so what can i do to fix the problem????

Does the exhaust smoke at all? if so what colour is it?

Also the 200 tdi's weren't known for being economical, but it should do upwards of 20 mpg. I can't see an Izusu Trooper doing 30 mpg, but I can see ing towing 2 tonne no problem. We had a 300 tdi and that pulled an 1800 kg caravan plus all the gear and 4 passengers.

Check you have compression on the cylinders(results should be within 10% of the cylinder with the highest compression result) and check that there are no boost leaks. After that the only thing I can tell you how to do is tweak you're diesel pump (my speciality) and adjust your wastegate on the turbo.

Check the injectors.
They are a common problem. My dads just had to replace the one's on his Disco.
Can't remember what else he's changed. I'll ask him next time I see him.
But it sounds more or less the same problem as you have.

cant see the compression being off, starts like a dream every time. the trooper had a 3.1 turbo intercooled lump, would have pulled 2t not a problem anywere. we used her to pull a 1300lt milk tank all through the frost, uphills and back roads, never let us down. for the disco not much point hooking her on. she wouldn't pull it empty!!!

havent got a chance to look for leaks yet so must get myself into gear and get it done. cant afford to run her at this rate ha.