1.4 Focus tuning options

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Re: Focus owners - say hello!

Hi there mg1878 and welcome to TorqueCars. Suspension mods are a good place to start, which engine do you have?

Re: Focus owners - say hello!

Its a 1.4L engine, I would easily be able to find more info out on it if needs be. ;)

I've made this into a new thread for you.

How much money are you looking to spend? Do you just want a bit more power or are you after something "SPECIAL"?

Engine swap? LOL.

Ye, basically I bought my car for mainly work purposes but I already love it so much... I wanted a small engine to keep my ins down, being 23y.o but having to fork out £2k as it is :p I wanna do something like, nice exhaust, something to give me more power (without Prince's engine swap :p)...

Any suggestions would be great!

Wayne, I want something to add power and something "special" :D

Engine swaps are the best way of increasing power and usually the most cost effective. £800 in performance parts will not usually match £800 spent on an engine swap.;)

The Focus 1.6, 2.0 and 2.0 turbo engines are the best in terms of power output. An older RS turbo or RS2000 engine would be interesting. Alternatively go mad and source a Cosworth block but this will need a major overhaul of everything else.

With your standard engine you have to understand that the lower your starting power the less effect the mods will have. View each performance part as adding a percentage to your power.

A sports exhaust, FSE boost valve and panel air filter (DO NOT USE AN INDUCTION KIT!) Then get some fast road cams, gas flow the head and fit bigger valves. This is about all you can reasonably do on a 1.4.

A low pressure supercharger would make a big difference but you will have quite a few other things to change on the engine, notably the fuelling side.

All sounds good Wayne, so now I need to collate my list, where should I start? I am not opposed to the new engine idea in truth, in fact it would be interesting. Any pointers to a modification site or anything of the sort....

I have a small knowledge of the mechanics side of cars so any tips would be great!!

Mike