1.3CDTI Corsa C - Is there such a thing as cleaning your turbo ??

AshleyMac

Wrench Pro
Car
Corsa C SXI 1.3CDTI
I was considering remapping the Corsa i have at present even tho its just a 1.3 and it would be done in stages.

But a mate of mine said that if i have the turbo cleaned it would make a difference.:blink: ?? just wondering is this true ??

No, there isn't. Cleaning the intercooler can be helpful as all turbochargers emit a small amount (very small) of oil mist which, over time, can build up in the intercooler. Although once it reaches a certain level it doesn't continue to build up until it's blocked.

Some diesel fuel additives claim to clean exhaust side components. BG244 is supposed to be very good indeed at this, although I wonder how much dirt can accumulate on something spinning at 250,000 rpm at times and and at temperatures up to 1000 degress farenheit.

THere's also those funny foam cleaners that you spray into the air intake with the engine idling.

I shan't be bothering with foam stuff, although I do use Millers DPS4 occasionally.

Thanks for clearing that up for me !!

or i would have looked stupid going into a garage asking for my turbo to be cleaned !!:lol:

yup agress with Hdi never heard of the turbo itself being cleaned as such but cleaning out the intercooler supposed to make a difference. hot water soap and then carb cleaner or petrol

One thing that is worth doing periodically is to use a jet wash lance and reverse flush the OUTSIDE of the intercooler. Basically use the lance and flush from the back of the intercooler towards the front of the car (this is in the case of a front mounted IC).

So much gunge and debris accumulates over time (insects, road grime etc) and this can reduce its cooling effect on the incoming charge air.

Be careful to not soak electrical engine parts, and modern cars have lots of 'em.

I also jet wash my whole engine bay occasionally. I do this with the engine running but cool. So I start the car from cold - drive straight to local tesco jetwash very gently and then blast off all the junk with the water jet. You don't want to be chucking cold water all over a red hot engine as you might well cause damage. I've heard of exhaust manifolds cracking under such extreme treatment. Take car to avoid pointing too much water directly at electrical bits.