What are corner weights of a car

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I heard some guys talking about their corner weights the other day. They were pretty serious racers and I felt stupid asking so I didnt.

Does anyone on here know what corner weights are, are they important and what is the point of knowing your cars corner weight?

Good link PG, lots of helpful info there. Corner weights are a major handling consideration and it is interesting that different cars, tracks require difference front/rear/left/right weight distribution.

Ideally a car is made with the balance by moving components around rather than adding weights. (Weights are used only for fine tuning.) A gearbox over the rear axle gives a nice 50/50 front rear distribution.

Isnt low weight better for cornering? Was it the 75 that had the aluminium engine?

low weight is ideal all round but its better if its balanced as well, dont think anyone would use aluminum alone for an engine the metals not really strong enough, most use an alloy to get the strengh and weight

The Alfa 75 had it's GB and diff at the rear.

Is it better to have a lighter car all round, or accept more weight and distribute it more evenly?

Never really gave this much thought before but it also means that the prop shaft runs at engine speed in all gears, not just top, which presumably means that more effort needs to be put into getting it nicely balanced.

Also, didn't those "not really Porsches" the 924 and 944 have this power train layout? Was the clutch still up the front though?

Never really gave this much thought before but it also means that the prop shaft runs at engine speed in all gears, not just top, which presumably means that more effort needs to be put into getting it nicely balanced.

Also, didn't those "not really Porsches" the 924 and 944 have this power train layout? Was the clutch still up the front though?

Yes 75 did have an aluminium block. But then so did my Primera, but that was a FWD car.

I think the Porsche 944 had a conventional engine/box up front driving the rear via the usual propshaft and differential. The later cars were very nice indeed. Not especially quick but beautifully built.

The 924 was a strange car - that one was the one known as 'not really being a Porsche' but I've not driven one and don't know much about the mechanicals.

And you can fit a 3/4 size stand up bass into a 924 with the seats folded!!