winter tyre size choices

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
I was just wondering, if I were to buy a set of winter tyres and wheels would there be any advantage to dropping a rim size and running a higher profile tyre?

It seems to me a little more compliance in the side wall may be more useful.

Or have I got it wrong? 0.o

i remember you on about em last time we got covered in white. got to work this afternoon and its just started snowing again. :(
you said they worked well didnt you claymore ?

i remember you on about em last time we got covered in white. got to work this afternoon and its just started snowing again. :(
you said they worked well didnt you claymore ?
They work a lot better than you would ever expect, just put snowsocks in youtube.

Just make sure you spell it right though! ;)

They do seem a more sensible proposition than chains or winter tyres taking into account our almost random weather patterns.

you could always use chains....lol
f8752be7.jpg

I'm looking into fitting Vredestein Quatrac 3's next time I need a set of tyres. Apparently it's a true all-season tyre, rather than the summer tyres we usually use in The UK for all-year-round driving.

Given that 8-9 months of the year we're dealing with wet roads it makes sense to do this as a better compromise than summer tyres.

I'm looking into fitting Vredestein Quatrac 3's next time I need a set of tyres. Apparently it's a true all-season tyre, rather than the summer tyres we usually use in The UK for all-year-round driving.

Given that 8-9 months of the year we're dealing with wet roads it makes sense to do this as a better compromise than summer tyres.

how much extra will you be paying for the privellage tho paul ?

Vreds are very good. My Astra ploughed through the snow :)

Glad I have Goodyear Wranglers on the Landy! :bigsmile:

Have 'borrowed' M&S set-up from race car one winter, same pcd as tow car. That was really good!

I'm not having much trouble with the snow. Having firm suspension helps, plus of course new tyres with lots of tread. And unlike a lot of drivers I see I know the clutch is not a digital device.