Why are 2 turbos better than 1 on a 4 cylinder

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Am curious as to why 2 single scroll turbos are better than 1 twin scroll turbo on an equal length split pulse manifold.

I note that both the VW Amarock and the new Nissan 4wd diesels have 2 turbos.

Don't know. I read with interest your post about twin scroll turbochargers in response to a question I had posed here in the forums.

My thinking is that if the turbine (exhaust side) is handling all the exhaust from all cylinders then it will provide a more constant source of compressed intake air rather than stabby pulses.

Thinking out loud now ;) With the SP single turbo on an equal length manifold the turbine housing keeps the exhaust pulses separate all the way to the turbine wheel inducer so why is that any different to the power/torque levels of the twin single scroll set up :confused:

The new NP3OO Nissan Navara 4x4 is sold with a single as well as a twin turbo motor with the TT having the higher outputs and this is what prompted my thread starter.

Better spool up and more low down power. Twin setups tend to have smaller turbos whether they are inline or parallel. It doesn't make sense to run 2 cylinders into one turbo and then 2 into the other one though, you need a constant flow through the turbo rather than pulses.

If you want max top end power your only option really is one large turbo, there are limits on small turbos and how much they can compress the intake.

Fitting twin turbos is usually because two smaller turbos spool up quicker and produce a better power curve than one larger one (proven by the new nissan figures )

Nissan did this on the GTR in 1989 and physics hasnt changed. (4 or 6 cylinders)

I think the twin schroll part is a completely different issue . It is another proven improvement not actually connected .

(posted at the same time as obis )

Sequential twin turbo setups - eg PSA V6 2.7 HDi engine are different from sequential ones such as BMW's diesel 3.0 straight six. I believe the PSA V6 is a cross 'pollinate' type of arrangement.