What things give you insurance discounts

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
When you are getting insurance there are some things that reduce your premium.

I discovered that low mileage and parking on a drive can knock a fair bit of the cost. What other things are there that you can say which will bring down the cost of your insurance.

Some places like Adrian flux & HIC (who I'm with). Will give you a small discount for being a member of a car club or Forum, like Torquecars. ;)

Security tends to be a good buy as well.

Trackers, Alarms, Immobilisers all help - especially if Thatcham Approved (Industry Standard).

Getting yourself a girlfriend usually helps ;)

Mine takes ~ £350 off my insurance just by selecting we live together and naming her as a driver.

Problem is... I think she costs me > £350 a year to keep!!

Mine takes ~ £350 off my insurance just by selecting we live together and naming her as a driver.

Problem is... I think she costs me > £350 a year to keep!!

Has she seen this? -)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.

If your a young driver adding a parent as a named driver brings the premium down abit.
If you've just passed pass plus will give you discounts too.

That has never worked for me, given the amounts of claims/accidents and points my parents accumulate.

saved me a fair bit adding ma mum as a driver.
replaced her with the wife when we got the flat and that knocked off another £80.

keeping the car standard - duh this will save a small fortune
do the pass plus
keep the milage low ( try and keep to it no point claiming you only do 7000 a year when your really doing 20k )
drive or yet garage the car at night.
if you do 2 or 3 jobs at work see if they give less premiums - a FLT driver normally gets me lower premuims than machine operator as its classed as a skilled trade.

and another easy one. dont accumulate points, they dont mean prizes in this case ;)

saved me a fair bit adding ma mum as a driver.
replaced her with the wife when we got the flat and that knocked off another £80.

keeping the car standard - duh this will save a small fortune
do the pass plus
keep the milage low ( try and keep to it no point claiming you only do 7000 a year when your really doing 20k )
drive or yet garage the car at night.
if you do 2 or 3 jobs at work see if they give less premiums - a FLT driver normally gets me lower premuims than machine operator as its classed as a skilled trade.

and another easy one. dont accumulate points, they dont mean prizes in this case ;)

lol too true,

got a quote for the challenger

quote 1 : boyfriend as only driver no convictions 1 year ncb got a quote of £1100

quote 2 : him as main driver and myself as named driver with 1 previous claim and got a quote of £780

no idea how that worked but im not complaining :)

Forgot bout the parent.

Even at 29, adding my dad saved me ~£20. Not much, but every little helps.

Car value isn't proportionate - not surprising, but just want to point that out. (vRS is £660 per year. Quotes for a £750 Skoda Estelle 130 from the 80s were in the £250+ range).

Owning the car for a while can give you a hefty discount.

Being a Homeowner helps with some insurers, as well as being a member of the RAC/AA.

Move to an out of town area, premiums can be substantially cheaper for certain postcodes.

FYI - A sex change op doesn't work - we had a client who did this and presented us with documentary evidence and the insureres wouldn't give him a lady discount! :eek:

Older cars, lower mileage, kept on drive or garaged with security are the main things.;)