What is your car tax bill

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I just had to renew my car tax and it has gone up from £195 to £205 this year for a year.

It seems to be increasing at a rate of £10 per year.

Would it be fairer if they just put the car tax in with fuel tax so higher mileage drivers would pay more?

What are you paying for your car tax?

just done mine yesterday £245

yeah i think it should be scrapped and a couple of pence added to the price of fuel.

i mean why should someone who buys a super efficient car pay nothing for road tax but have it covering more miles than someone who has a weekend playtoy that has to pay £400 a year for doing maybe a couple of thousand on top of what ever they are paying for their daily driver

just done mine yesterday £245

yeah i think it should be scrapped and a couple of pence added to the price of fuel.

i mean why should someone who buys a super efficient car pay nothing for road tax but have it covering more miles than someone who has a weekend playtoy that has to pay £400 a year for doing maybe a couple of thousand on top of what ever they are paying for their daily driver

its the 1 thing i hate paying as i dnt get any benefit frm it, road up keep and so on, my anus, its another rip off in rip off uk

I'd put it on the fuel, it would be much fairer. I used to do loads of miles so I'd have been stung at that time but it would be fairer.

My father-in-law bitches about his RFL costs (he barely does 2000 miles per year) but he does get a free TV license. Don't ever hear him complain about that !!!! What a surprise.

He also hammers on about the environment and the effect my annual mileage has upon global warming.

I asked him this:- "Who's been to Cuba 3 times in the last 5 years?"

Here in Bangalore India, we have a Lifetime Tax system, we pay around Rupees 70,000(about 1000 UK Pounds) as lifetime tax for a new average sized private car.

Indiaman: ah, so cheap. In Vietnam they just hiked it to 15% of the cars value payable at time of purchase - so for the Mondeo is was USD8700 (about 5700 quid!)

wait for it: for a bentley continental (iirc) (and yes a fair few in Vietnam now) the tax bill is now about USD95000 - over USD600k for the car to import.

Import duty (VRT) is 36% of car value (a figure government makes up).
Road Tax (annual) is EUR1500 per year for anything over 3litres.

Got to smile at people in the UK talking about changing cars due to their (low) annual tax bills!