What has experience taught you

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When it comes to driving what has experience taught you.

For me it is to expect the unexpected! There are no shortage of idiots out there just ready to surprise you.

No matter how much experience and knowledge you have there is always something waiting to catch you out.

Play dumb and listen, you may learn something. Play to people's vanity and you will learn far more than if you try to impress.

I'm playing the devils advocate here so Is what the idiots you refer to doing something that you may have done in your misspent youth .
I know I was guilty of doing some stupid things behind the wheel and bars before 21 before I woke up and realized that if I kept it up I would have a serious crash .

PS nothing can be made idiot proof as they can be very inventive.

Despite not being able to stop myself, don't do loads of work to a car and then sell it on when it's perfect for something else with a boat load of problems. Unfortunately I've yet to be able to stop myself doing this :(

It never ceases to amaze me how other road users behave.
Experience has taught me to try and anticipate when the unexpected may occur by watching other road users in and around me intently. As Hdi always says, anticipation is the key.

Still being very young, and still learning as it were... I think one of the most important things is to know your limitations! I think we have all been there were you've done something a little silly and foolish, felt awful but you take away experience. More and more people think they're racers, but end up binning there car into a tree as they have no idea how to handle a car. But I do agree with anticipation! So many careless morons out there!

Most 4x4 drivers don't like getting there cars wet/dirty and will drive into oncoming traffic to avoid puddles and potholes

Most 4x4 drivers don't like getting there cars wet/dirty and will drive into oncoming traffic to avoid puddles and potholes

Had to mount a curb once because some utter word I am not allowed to use, came along in the middle of the road to avoid some small flooding.

I have learnt to treat everyone as a total novice/idiot. It is the safest way.

Even then I am still astounded by people on a daily basis.

Still being very young, and still learning as it were... I think one of the most important things is to know your limitations! I think we have all been there were you've done something a little silly and foolish, felt awful but you take away experience. More and more people think they're racers, but end up binning there car into a tree as they have no idea how to handle a car. But I do agree with anticipation! So many careless morons out there!

Sadly many only find the limits of their skill when they overstep them and it ends up in a crash.

It would appear that month on month the amount of bad drivers are increasing. I'm not sure how it's happening but it is. People never seem to indicate! Why?! People come to almost a complete stop to turn a corner! Why?! People can't use roundabouts! Why?! People can't drive in.....snow, rain, dark, wet, dry, dull, rush hour, Sundays, Tuesday nights (for some odd reason)......
The list is growing daily for me at the moment it's getting beyond the pail now. Bad drivers need to be cracked down on

Something that is severely lacking (and this is part of anticipation) are observational skills!! Always watch what other people are doing and be alert of your surroundings. Whatever you think the most ridiculous thing you think someone on the road could do, they'll do it, rest assured, don't let yourself be surprised by idiots as there are many using our roads. Be careful out there

Last edited:
I don't think we will ever see the end of idiots on the road while ever we have cars or motor bikes. The thing I remember when I was growing up was no matter what I was told I still considered I was 12 foot tall and totally bullet proof. I am no where near 12 foot tall these days and certainly not bullet proof. Education is the only answer I have but good luck with that.
Also remember objects you see in your mirror are coming second.

The one who hammer through at 30mph (minimum) when the obstruction IS on my side but they cannot see whether their own side is actually clear. Even though they CAN see the obstruction for themselves !!!!!

That was a bit uncalled for dude. :(

Probably me being sensitive but did you mean that as a joke? Or to enlighten us of how he died?

Last edited by a moderator:
At the defensive driver training days for high schoolkids we would tell them that statistics show 1 in 6 newly licensed drivers would be involved in a serious crash that would result in death or serious permanent injuries before age 25

PS sadly it's almost impossible to put an old head on a teenager

That was a bit uncalled for dude. :(

Probably me being sensitive but did you mean that as a joke? Or to enlighten us of how he died?

Bit of both to be fair. It was a point being made that it wasn't driving that killed McRae was it? It was an entirely unconnected death but the way in which it has been used made it seem that way. i.e "end up like him" which inferred that he'd died whilst racing etc. It was a clever/witty remark nothing more. I think the reaction to which was undeserved

Fair comment rudders, it's easy for posts to be taken out of context. Written text never conveys what you think it will and it is so easy to give the wrong impression.

Hi Rudders, it is EXACTLY as Waynne has stated.

These things can often be misinterpreted and if unqualified quickly from the OP, we have to move fast to remove any comment that is deemed to be offensive, racist or just darn right rude from the website - we pride ourselves on being family friendly! It is not the first time that the written text has been taken out of context here and neither will it be the last.

Thanks for taking the time out to explain buddy, it is much appreciated :wink:

Bit of both to be fair. It was a point being made that it wasn't driving that killed McRae was it? It was an entirely unconnected death but the way in which it has been used made it seem that way. i.e "end up like him" which inferred that he'd died whilst racing etc. It was a clever/witty remark nothing more. I think the reaction to which was undeserved

Terribly sorry buddy! I guess I didn't understand the comment! But I do now understand, as I merely used Mcrae as a figure of speech, and you saying that ironicly it wasn't driving that ended his life.

Fully understood mate and sorry for the over reaction.

Not a problem guys. I'm glad we're all adult enough & intelligent enough to sort out problems like this. It's a breath of fresh air for a forum :D

To be fair that's how I got banned from the STOC sites. Uppity staff members with a god complex thinking they could belittle me and condescend me. Mistake. lol. It's about mutual respect, something they didn't understand.

To be fair that's how I got banned from the STOC sites. Uppity staff members with a god complex thinking they could belittle me and condescend me. Mistake. lol. It's about mutual respect, something they didn't understand.

Been getting this on a few forums. Ask a question and all you get are sarcastic comments or replies that have nothing to do with your question.