What do you think of "supercar"

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think of and what comes into your mind when someone says "supercar"?

Do you judge each car on it's own merits or do you have a criteria for supercars?

My idea of a supercar is something very low to the ground, drop dead gorgeous styling, huge power, fantastic handling, low miles to the gallon and an outrageous purchase price :)

My idea of a supercar is something very low to the ground, drop dead gorgeous styling, huge power, fantastic handling, low miles to the gallon and an outrageous purchase price :)
Gumpert Apollo disagrees
Gumpert-Apollo_2008_photo_01.jpg

It has to be fast, expensive, silly and impractical.

Corvette ZR1 isn't expensive, silly, or impractical and is still considered a supercar. :/
Expensive for a Corvette, but still cheap in the realm of performance cars, and it has an actual useful trunk/boot.
ZR1_30.jpg

Not really a fan of supercars to be honest.

When we see what Alpina can do with a BM 535d Estate Wagon, for example, I can't see the point really.

You can have near 'ish' supercar performance every day and keep all the practicality and comfort of a well built estate car.

You used to be able to define a supercar as one that could do over 200mph (320kph).

Nowadays, I think you are looking at over 220mph (352kph)

Engine has to be in the middle or back, I can't think of any front engined car I would call a supercar.

I was looking at some hypercars on YouTube the other day and these were in Dubai.
What must it be like to have money in abundance to be able to create your own dream car on a whim :amuse: