Torque Cars

What do you consider high mileage these days (Petrol and diesel)?

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by aston, 30 November 2014.

1. aston

aston The Torque Meister

South Dorset
    Car:
    VOLVO and VW
    Hi all, I personally always buy high mileage cars and have never been burnt, I was just wondering what you consider a high mileage these days for each, diesel and petrol.
    I have had 4 ford tdci engines all which still purr at 200k , How long should these live?

Thanks

obi_waynne likes this.
  2. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Depends upon servicing and driving style. I'd rather take a 200,000 mile car that's been serviced properly over a 100,000 mile car that hasn't. Driving style plays a part too, and I think that Nannying a car is very damaging.

3. RobBentley

RobBentley The Torque Meister

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    100'000 miles used to be massively considered high-mileage not that long ago... and a huge tipping point for the value dropping, but not so much these days I think. Engines tend to last a lot longer maintained properly than they used to. I start to consider high-mileage at 150k and above personally... but I had a BMW 320d down for a tune only a couple of weeks back that had 240k miles on the clock and it still ran perfectly - so maybe I need to adjust my opinion a bit!

aston likes this.
  4. thexav

thexav Pro Tuner Staff Member

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    150,000 for a petrol and 200,000 for a diesel but it's more about how a car has been looked after and whether it's done short journeys all its life or had plenty of long motorway runs.

5. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    My 528i (written off by silly 17 yr old) was approaching 155,000 and still drove perfectly. MoT emissions tests were insanely low ie. 0.005% CO (max allowed is 0.3%); 2 PPM HC (max allowed is 300). I never nursed it either. Frequent visits to the redline do no damage in my opinion.

The garage who serviced it had a smiliar one to mine on the books which was approaching 400,000 and still in daily use.

6. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    That is so :cool:

7. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Unlike my bl**d**' Passat which is constantly playing up at just under 125,000. Been unlucky with this car.

8. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    ^^ Sorry to hear that Paul :(

9. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Anyone got a handy ravine ??