What do you consider high mileage these days (Petrol and diesel)?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Hi all, I personally always buy high mileage cars and have never been burnt, I was just wondering what you consider a high mileage these days for each, diesel and petrol.
I have had 4 ford tdci engines all which still purr at 200k , How long should these live?

Thanks

Depends upon servicing and driving style. I'd rather take a 200,000 mile car that's been serviced properly over a 100,000 mile car that hasn't. Driving style plays a part too, and I think that Nannying a car is very damaging.

100'000 miles used to be massively considered high-mileage not that long ago... and a huge tipping point for the value dropping, but not so much these days I think. Engines tend to last a lot longer maintained properly than they used to. I start to consider high-mileage at 150k and above personally... but I had a BMW 320d down for a tune only a couple of weeks back that had 240k miles on the clock and it still ran perfectly - so maybe I need to adjust my opinion a bit!

150,000 for a petrol and 200,000 for a diesel but it's more about how a car has been looked after and whether it's done short journeys all its life or had plenty of long motorway runs.

My 528i (written off by silly 17 yr old) was approaching 155,000 and still drove perfectly. MoT emissions tests were insanely low ie. 0.005% CO (max allowed is 0.3%); 2 PPM HC (max allowed is 300). I never nursed it either. Frequent visits to the redline do no damage in my opinion.

The garage who serviced it had a smiliar one to mine on the books which was approaching 400,000 and still in daily use.