Ways to save money on motoring costs.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I thought that in the current economic climate it would be good to share some tips so we can keep our motoring costs and expenses down.

Please pass on any tips you have and share them with us all.

1) Depreciation of the cars value is the single biggest cost, buy 3 years old or older and keep the car as long as you can. Replacing a new car every few years will be costing you around 50% of the cars list price!

2) Drive economically, this one thing can directly knock around 20-40% off your fuel bill depending on your current driving style of course.

The Chevy is broken at the moment so I am using the Mother-in-law's VW Fox. I have gone from 17 to 43mpg! which is working out to be quite a saving :)

When delivering parcels I was getting 11mpg in the Chevy. I am getting 33mpg in the Fox. Even allowing for the fact that there is less room (but not a lot less) in the Fox and occasionally have had to go out twice the saving is dramatic.

Lesson. If you want to save fuel, get a smaller car :)

Last edited by a moderator:
0r a pushbike:(

If you ride one of those in central London then be prepared and have your blood group stated inside your wallet along with the name and contact details of your next of kin! Cannot believe the amount of flowers cable tied to a trafficlight or lamp post where someone has lost the argument with the grim reaper these days :sad2:

Since changing the much loved and tired TD5 Discovery for the CDTi Vectra I not only have improved my back problem (heated leather seats) but saving just over £25 per week in fuel. It goes well for a 1.9 and I still get 43mpg with mixed driving and as much as 58 on a cruise.

Keep the car in tip top condition and healthy.

Check tyre pressures regularly, this make a difference to your mpg.

Removed roof bars and racks.

Drive smoothly.

Plan ahead and buy the right car for your needs and not because it'll look good next to Mr Jones's motor next door but costs an arm and a leg to maintain.

I could have bought a nice E class Merc estate but decided the basic maintenance costs would defeat the object. Plus it would take up too much room on the driveway.

If you ride one of those in central London then be prepared and have your blood group stated inside your wallet along with the name and contact details of your next of kin! Cannot believe the amount of flowers cable tied to a trafficlight or lamp post where someone has lost the argument with the grim reaper these days :sad2:
Looking at it that way 60 quid a week on fuel don,t look to bad.

The Chevy is broken at the moment so I am using the Mother-in-law's VW Fox. I have gone from 17 to 43mpg! which is working out to be quite a saving :)

When delivering parcels I was getting 11mpg in the Chevy. I am getting 33mpg in the Fox. Even allowing for the fact that there is less room (but not a lot less) in the Fox and occasionally have had to go out twice the saving is dramatic.

Lesson. If you want to save fuel, get a smaller car :)

Handbrake turns in the snow work well too. Especially so with an audience. It's an objective lesson for me