Unmarked speed cameras on uk motorways

What complete and utter nonsense. One minute they are thinking about raising the limit to 80mph and now this stealth camera plan has raised it's ugly head.

The powers that be in that agency need a good kick up the backside in my opinion. The times I have had a police motorway patrol doing 80/85 on the motorway past me and without the blues and twos going; in other words they deem it ok, what ever happened to lead by example then?

They can only catch speeders and can do nothing about dangerous overtaking,tailgateing,road hogs,DUI etc.

As well as our mobile manned and marked vans we have unmarked 2nd hand tradies utes with canopies over the tray to hide the cameras so one has to regard all vehicles beside any road with a degree of suspicion.

I wonder what the opinion of the motorway/traffic police is on this? Are they allowed an opinion? - seems that government and it's appointed agencies/advisors are once again rubbing out the simple principles of democracy.

This kind of political behaviour is not new. The government pre 2010 election was hinting at much the same.

Driving really is getting on for being a game of watching your speedo 100% of the time instead of concentrating on the traffic around you isn't it...

I've done plenty of driving quickly deep into 3 figures on unrestricted autobahns through Germany and I know for a fact I'm paying hugely more attention to whats around me as I'm concentrating on 'driving' and not watching my speedo, checking mr plod isn't sat in a van on the bridge etc etc ....

Doesnt even take 1/2 second to glance at the speedometer.

What worries me more is the so called charities such as Slowerspeeds.org.uk or BRAKE seem to endorse even needlessly lower speed limits. They are not charities as such, they are lobby groups.

My feeling is that those who operate, subscribe to, donate to, such charities are generally poor drivers themselves.

The main issue is bumbling along at 70mph is boring as hell... and in modern cars feels more like 40mph!... so naturally you don't pay as much attention as going faster...

Doesnt even take 1/2 second to glance at the speedometer.

What worries me more is the so called charities such as Slowerspeeds.org.uk or BRAKE seem to endorse even needlessly lower speed limits. They are not charities as such, they are lobby groups.

My feeling is that those who operate, subscribe to, donate to, such charities are generally poor drivers themselves.

I was going to say... These so called groups are more then likely poor drivers themselves. Then when some one over takes as they're doing 20 in a 40, they then complain roads are too fast and dangerous. Muppets if you ask me and should all be shot.... Okay, maybe just have to take the driving test again.

I thought you could do 10% + 2mph over 70mph to take into consideration how far out MOST people's speedos are out of true,, 10% + 2 was what the yellow camaras were set at ,,or so i thought ,,,any true facts anyone, would be appreaciated..

I thought you could do 10% + 2mph over 70mph to take into consideration how far out MOST people's speedos are out of true,, 10% + 2 was what the yellow camaras were set at ,,or so i thought ,,,any true facts anyone, would be appreaciated..

That's the usual ACPO guidelines (ie. 10% + 2mph) before any action at all is taken. However, speeding is an absolute offence and technically COULD be done for being just 1mph over the limit.

Despite popular opinion, I think that the most lenient of enforcers are drivers of unmarked M'Way patrol cars. They're not likely to give away their presence just to get you for a dozen or so MPH over the 70 limit. Provided you're not attracting their attention in other ways ie. insurance/tax etc. Or driving like a complete moron.

Unmarked cars aren't used solely for speed enforcement.