UK Drink drive laws to change

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Rumors are that the UK are going to get tougher drink drive laws bringing us into line with the rest of Europe.

What are your thoughts on tighter drink drive limits?

Will there be an increase in "morning after" convictions? Is this a good deterrent or just another draconian policy?

I totally Agree with Tougher Laws for Drink Drivers. Even Driving the Next Day, the Drink is still in your System so your not 100% Aware of everything going on.

Also this thing about being allowed half a pint and still able to drive, I think is Bullocks, You shouldn't be allowed any Drink before driving

Drinking and driving is not a good mix. However, clearly the limit cannot be zero otherwise you could be convicted today for a trace of alcohol still in your blood since Sunday lunchtime.

In most of mainland Europe the lmit is lower than it is here, the penalty for a being marginally over, in the case of a first offence, is no more than a roadside fine.

Like everything else, this country adopts foreign policies when it suits and doesn't do so when it doesn't suit.

If I'm driving, I don't drink. It's not worth the risk and it's just plain stupid to limit your abilities.

The limit should be as low as it could be possibly be.

scotland is supposed to be bringing in lower DD limits, but as HDi has said you cannot have a zero limit as nobody would be able to drive. fermented foods could, in large quantitys put you over.

For the Now The Uk Drink and Drive Limit is - 80mg of drink Per 100ml of Blood.

In 1998 What wanted to bring it down to 50mg of drink Per 100ml Of Blood, which they should have done, but take them 2 years to decide to just leave it :(

But if you look at it from a different angle, It's the Courts Letting of Celebraties with Drink Driving, and someone in the Dundee courts was caught drunk drinking with a licence nor Insurance and he got a 6 month Ban and £200 Fine which is a Joke, *Caught Drink Driving* You should do at least a week locked up as there is no excuess for it but will never happen due to Prison's being over Crowded.

The UK drink drive should have an automatic 12month disqualification period. Well thats what I got told 11 years ago.
There is no way they can make it zero tolerance cause as already said more than half the population would be getting done for it.
Plus if it was zero tolerance and also a prison sentence they'd need to acquire a hell of alot more prisons.
Drink driving is a very diverse subject as there will be so many differences of opinions.
Also if it was a zero tolerance how would they be able to tell whether it was an actual alcholic drink that was consumed or something out of food because surely they can't expect to ban people for eating choclate liquers for example.

The UK does have an automatic 12 month disqualification period

There is also a duty of care for pedestrians not to be blind p***ed as well.

It would be unfair to be charged with causing death by drink driving just because you'd had 3/4 pint an hour ago but the pedestrian you wiped out walked under the wheels of your car having consumed 18 pints himself.

Best policy however, the one I adopt, along with most I suspect is just not to drink if you have to drive.

Or, if the place you're going to is likely to be such a bore without a skinful inside you then stay home anyway!!

surly there would not be enough alcohol in say mputh wash to be considered drinkin on a breath test at the police station,
i personaly think the law is stupid, there should a limit which allows for the traces such as mouth wash etc but defines the difference of actualy drinking if that makes sence...?
at the end of the day i could have half a pint and be perfectly legal to drive under todays law but be completely wasted and unable to drive safely,
where as my mate could drink 10 pints be perfectly sober and be over the limit yet i would not be commiting a crime, this is just a exmple.

Thats what I thought as well. But I know someone, Actually I know a few people that have been convicted of Drink Driving and not recieved the full 12 month disqual.

There have been exceptions, of course. But I bet the legal fees were huge and the mitigation (to prove exceptional hardship) must have been absolutely (and expensively) bullet proof.

In some cases the driver can re-apply for a license after ten months even in a std DD case. But it still comes back with a DD10 endorsement on it.

There have been exceptions, of course. But I bet the legal fees were huge and the mitigation (to prove exceptional hardship) must have been absolutely (and expensively) bullet proof.

In some cases the driver can re-apply for a license after ten months even in a std DD case. But it still comes back with a DD10 endorsement on it.

One person I know got 6 points and a small fine and thats it.
Also mate drink driving is a dr10.;)

in a case i know of no!!!
my old md was done for drink driving numerous times only ever convicted once!
you know how????

That's a bit of a result. What were the circumstances?

I stand corrected on the endorsement code.

He got caught drink driving thats all I know. But he didn't get any sort of ban at all.
Yet 11 years ago I did infact get done for drink driving and the magestrate that convicted me told me he was sorry to give me the ban but it was out of his hands.

I don't know how. Please enlighten us.
corruption at it finest:mad: his local pub was frequented by barristers, lawyers, all the police hierarchy and judges;)
lets just say it is honestly not what you know but who!!!! but even the 1 time he did get convicted (6 months some silly fine) wrong when the wealthy can get away with this crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
corruption at it finest:mad: his local pub was frequented by barristers, lawyers, all the police hierarchy and judges;)
lets just say it is honestly not what you know but who!!!! but even the 1 time he did get convicted (6 months some silly fine) wrong when the wealthy can get away with this sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That in itself is against the law. If you know the Judge then you are obliged to tell the courts and they will replace the judge with someone you don't know.
Deception of the courts is worse than drink driving in the laws eyes.;)

He got caught drink driving thats all I know. But he didn't get any sort of ban at all.
Yet 11 years ago I did infact get done for drink driving and the magestrate that convicted me told me he was sorry to give me the ban but it was out of his hands.

Perhaps he screened positive at the roadside but subsequent testing found him to below the prescribed limit?

Getting caught and getting 'done' are very different.

The police prosecutors always take the lower or lowest reading when preparing a case.

Perhaps he screened positive at the roadside but subsequent testing found him to below the prescribed limit?

Getting caught and getting 'done' are very different.

The police prosecutors always take the lower or lowest reading when preparing a case.

Mate I have been convicted of drink driving I know how it all goes trust me.
He got convicted for Drink Driving but never got a ban for it. I've never understood why myself.

lets just say it is honestly not what you know but who!!!! but even the 1 time he did get convicted (6 months some silly fine) wrong when the wealthy can get away with this sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems that the justice system is a bit fragile then. Not that this is news. Even if the very wealthy get away with it we have to consider that the very wealthy can afford to engage chauffeurs even if found guilty as charged.

Not truly fair and just then, is it?

That in itself is against the law. If you know the Judge then you are obliged to tell the courts and they will replace the judge with someone you don't know.
Deception of the courts is worse than drink driving in the laws eyes.;)
you have it the wrong way round mate;) its down to the judge or jury to declare they know the defendant!
i know cause i once had a old teacher who removed himself from court cause he knew me;)

they should reduce it, within reason. Cough medicine, mouth wash, deodorant (not sure why you would spray it in your mouth) all contain alcohol and so, as said above, it cant be zero. but if i'm going to drive then i never have a drink, no need. and who ever drinks only half a pint?

Remember that it's the blood alcohol level that matters.

If they get a positive reading from the breathalyser and you are confident that your actual blood alcohol reading is lower, demand a blood test.

Remember that it's the blood alcohol level that matters.

If they get a positive reading from the breathalyser and you are confident that your actual blood alcohol reading is lower, demand a blood test.

Cant Bud, Scared of Needles llf, just have to take the fine :p

Best Ban I seen was with my cousin,......1 Year Ban, Resit test again and £250 fine for dangerous driving!

He did a wheel spin in a crowd area, Yes I know daft but when it came to the Court, there was no Evidance. One Witness agasint my Cousin and Police admited They did not have the full Register from the Witness. The Witness only knew the first 3 letters/numbers and it took the police 4 hours to come to the report and they just copyed the rest from the car.

Now I do beleive "If you do the Crime, then you pay the fine"

But I see people getting off Lighter. A guy in the Courts few months ago, stuck some woman when driving drunk. The Women had to be taken to hospital for broken bones but she surived. Yet this guy only got a 12 month Ban, which I think the whole Justic System is BULLOCKS! :p

If it aint broke, dont fix it?

Whats wrong with the law at present?

Just my 2p

I read a story about a guy in Russia once. He was pulled over for drink driving but when the officers approached his car, he simply shut and locked the windows then refused to come out until he was sober.

Better still there was a driver in Germany who had been drinking and, whom the German Police persued for over two hours.

He argued (successfully) that, since it took the police 2 hours to bring him to a halt apprehend him at the roadside, the alcohol he had ingested had not adversely affected his driving.

Just read the story regarding this, and it seems the guy who put the forward in the first place admitted that its the 100mg of alcohol + people who are the ones who cause the most damage? I don't agreed with a drop of drink and driving at all, however it just seems as though the gov't is meddling with things that don;t need fixing again?

I'm against this due to it being a waste of time.

Just read the story regarding this, and it seems the guy who put the forward in the first place admitted that its the 100mg of alcohol + people who are the ones who cause the most damage? I don't agreed with a drop of drink and driving at all, however it just seems as though the gov't is meddling with things that don;t need fixing again?

I'm against this due to it being a waste of time.

It won't stop the determined and persistent offenders, that's for sure.