Tyre pressure warning.

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
Just found out that pencil gagues are miles out. I check mine today and they we sort of OK but when I went to the garage and used their machine all tyres were 5psi lower than my guague indicated. I have asked around and most people agree that the pressure gaugues with dials are usually much more accurate.

I've had similar problems with them. I now use a digital one (cost about twenty quid (ouch!)) but it does at least allow me to have a known reference.

I quite often run my tyres at the high-speed pressures. This gives slightly less heat build up and therefore slightly better life. Ride is very slightly firmer but that suits me anyway. I've never been one for magic carpet ride quality. The only way to achieve that is buy a Jag or Mercedes S Class.

Me too! Mine under read by 5psi so things were really out. I got a dial gauge on my pump that is fairly accurate but I might look out for a digital one as it sounds more precise.

How often do you guys check your tyre pressures? Any one here admit to doing the tyre kick check?

I try to check mine every few weeks, but I'll admit that months sometimes pass before I check them. I think it makes quite a big difference to fuel enconomy, but might be one of those things which I've convinced myself is true, even though it actually makes very little difference!

It does make a big difference to economy. I had one tyre (a rear) that was 10psi down all the others were pretty much ok but fuel economy was 5 mpg lower! Imagine what thay would be if the tyres were all under inflated!

Your tyres also wear out more quickly and are more prone to fail due to heat build up and flexing if they are under pressure.