Torque Cars

Have you ever had a tyre blow on you

Discussion in 'Wheels, suspension and tyres' started by obi_waynne, 12 May 2017.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    You see shredded tyres at the side of the road quite often but I don't think I actually know anyone who has had a blow out in their car.

I have a couple of friends who have had a wheel come off (and neither noticed until they started braking or turning a corner!)

If you did have a blow out what do you think caused it? Heat, sidewall damage, debris on the road, Wear and tear ....?

2. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney The Torque Meister

Poole, UK
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    Yep.
    On a long trip to a friend's wedding in March last year. Travelling on dual carriage way, left lane, about 70mph and the rear passenger tyre went. I felt a bump and saw the tyre in the rear view rolling away. I stuck the hazard lights on and pulled over to the verge. When I was finally rescued and lifted to a tyre shop (I carry a spare, but I just went for rescue) the man and the garage said the wheel was saved by quick reactions as I still had a bit of rubber around the rim.

As for what caused it? No one could work it out. All four tyres were the same make and age, and the other 3 were fine. No obvious debris on the road. Very odd and I put it down to just one of those things.
    [​IMG]

obi_waynne likes this.
  3. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Wow that was bad. They say it's usually sidewall damage that causes a split. But not the sort of thing you'd really notice unless you did a detailed inspection.

4. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Never had one, and I so hope it remains that way |B

Lunchmoney likes this.
  5. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion