Torque Dampers

dr weaver

Re: Greetings from a Type R

I'd like to know more about... torque dampers.

Opinions? Who has one? A worthwhile addition for the money, or a pointless bauble? Are some torque dampers better than others?

Let's hear it!

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea behind a Torque Damper is to prevent the engine twisting. Apparently this mod allows you to get a better acceleration.

Personally I can't see the point unless your engine suffers from excessive twisting when you rev it. In a big V8 tuned for big power the twist is very noticable and there is an arguement for a torque damper but in a modern car with new(ish) engine mounts I really can't see the point.

If anyone knows of any other benefits of them let me know?

The reason a torque damper appeals to me is, I guess, because Type Rs almost suffer from an over-abundance of BHp relative to torque. So anything that might squeeze a pound or two more torque onto the road off the starting line would be welcome. And despite the advanced nature of the i-Vtec, there's still noticeable push and pull.

Or maybe I just want one 'cos they look cool. Doh.

Buy it for the looks and if you do get a performance gain that is a plus. Just remember that if you are taking strain out of the engine mounts it is going somewhere else - probably into the gearbox;)