The fuel you could save

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much fuel do you think you could save if you drove the car really carefully? Does it matter that much to you or would you rather drive the car at the edge all the time?

We estimate that most drivers are around 15% wasteful in their fuel usage and with supreme anticipation and throttle control and major driving habit changes they could potentially save up to 30% of their fuel consumption.

What are your thoughts on this?

If I drove my Vectra according to the mpg figures it could do I would gain another 10mpg....................apparently! However I am happy to be saving £25 a week just by driving it in-place of the old Disco. With the MG, I don't tend to care too much as that is for fun and fuel is there to be burned.

I knew my car wasn't built for MPG when I bought it so I suppose I'm relatively happy with what I get back from it. Might not be the best for fuel but it ain't half fun ;)

I can recall the times when a visit to the petrol station was never an issue as it is today. I remember one particular car that would dip into single figures when opened up and this was never a problem. Couldn't do it today as you could watch it disappear off the gauge and know exactly how much that little burn up cost you!

No such thing as cheap motoring anymore really. I 'hypermiled' it once all the way to North Devon and achieved 46mpg but, driven normally (let's say no more than 80mph on motorway) I can still see 40-41mpg on a run. Again, light traffic helps.

I am not complaining though - it's a heavy beast with a 2.8 litre petrol engine and automatic transmission. Can manage 29-31mpg in town as well but town work around here is light compared to London town work.

I worked for Dhiatsu many moons ago & had a Cherarde, the 3 cylider 900cc, got upto 80 mpg but VERY careful driving, now if you've driven the new little CITREON & Baby TOYOTA you'll know how hard it is to NOT use the loud pedal 'cos it sounds just like a Ford V6 under power, that said DHIATSU HQ in Dover got a record at the ime of testing the DTI version with 103mpg officialy recorded, so just what mpg could be acheaved by Toyota & Citreon using the same engine,,,135-150 me thinks, but that would rearly upset the oil producing whores..