Super unleaded does give more miles

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Well I've finished a scientific(ish) study of the fuel consumption.

After 4 tanks - 2 alternating tanks of each. Using BP Unleaded and Superunleaded each time.

Tank 1 (SU) 340 miles
Tank 2 (U) 310 miles
Tank 3 (SU) 330 miles
Tank 4 (U) 304 miles

Each time I filled up on the low fuel light. All tanks included a run of 120 miles on a motorway and was mostly round town. Ambient temperature was lower for tank 3 & 4 at 2-4 degrees tanks 1 and 2 were at 7-10 degrees celcius.

I can't be bothered to work out if the extra 20p per litre adds up to a saving but I'm guessing it doens't.

i told ye that before, it does give extra miles, i dont know how or why this works but it does
i cant get super unleaded over here anymore since shell are gone and im like a dog
i really found i got extra miles and better performance from using it

Has anyone done a test on the better diesel you can get? I have been tempted to do this with my vRS but my driving is too unpredictable. I don't go to the same places all the time if you know what I mean. I often will go on a random spin somewhere. I have been told it cuts down on black smoke you get from diesels.

Try 2 alternating tanks like I did - the more refills you do the more the results will average out giving a good overall impression. ;) I think quite a few would be interested in this test.

It's worth noting that this will not always be the case for all cars. An old car designed fro standard fuel will not benefit from the super's at all.