Speed awareness courses - do they work

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do speed awareness courses work? Have you done one? Did it change your driving style?

Did you choose to go on the course to avoid the penalty points and fine?

I was offered one a few years ago. It or the fine never materialised (yeah, there's an anecdote there*). A friend of mine had one after going through a red light. I've not notice any difference in his driving style.

*Many years ago I received a NIP through the post. On checking the date, time and location I saw it was on a drive home from Aberystwyth after visiting friends.
The roads there are not exactly great (they've been remade in the last couple of years and are now a joy to drive on) and I rarely got to drive fast.
The fine was for doing 38 in a 30 zone. I know that if I was driving 38 then I probably thought it was a 40 zone.
Whatever; I've always said there is no excuse for speeding and one should just suck it up and deal with it if one gets caught (I have no time for speed camera & limit whiners).
I was offered 3 points and £60 fine, driver's awareness course costing £70, or contesting it in court.
The course would have been in Cardiff meaning I would need to take a day off work, drive to Cardiff, attend the course and drive home. That would cost a hell of a lot more than the fine and any associated insurance penalty for 3 points (most insurers don't give a crap about a single SP30).
I replied (via recorded delivery as I didn't want to take the risk of it disappearing and getting a pointless summons land on my doormat; I know they got it) to take the fine.
That was in 2006, I think.
Still waiting to hear back from them. :)

Never had the opportunity as yet. My eldest daughter has though, it changed her attitude to driving. My take on it is, if caught I obviously deserved it and won't complain. Since driving started in 1981 I count myself lucky as I will be the first to admit I am no saint but at the same time I don't push my luck or drive like a fool, I save that for the track.

I've done one.

34 in a 30 by a van. I'd had my old Astra a couple of days and was still getting use to it.
Doesn't sound much but going from a puny 1.6 na petrol engine to a 2.0 Turbo Diesel with a good amount of torque standard took a week or so to get fully used to it.

Even so. I pulled out of a street. Went past the van and turned off just after it down another street. Poked it in first and went straight into 3rd and lifted off ready for the turn.

And also no, actually found the course very boring. I found it boring because we was forever correcting the chap that lead the course. To say he was an ex traffic police officer. He didn't know his highway code that well.

And funnily enough. The chap had more points on his licence than anyone else in the room.

And all for speeding too.