Speed awareness courses

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Has anyone on here done a speed awareness course?

What did you learn? Was it useful and constructive? Did it change your driving style? Would you have preferred to have points and a fine?

I've done one a good few years back. It was a bit pointless. They just talk at you for 4 hours. There is no debate. I was aware of my speed, coming down from a 50 into a 40 on a quiet country road, the 40 being for no discernable reason, I didnt come down quick enough. What I needed was a Rozzer-in-the-bushes Awareness Course. The rest of the course was filled with people who'd sailed past schools doing 38, who were really unaware of their speed.

That said. it costs the same as a fine, and if you sit there and justshut up and listen, you don't get any points.

Agree with Yugguy here.
I got hit by a camera van doing 34 on a 30. I'd only just pulled out of a junction and was getting up to speed. I'd gone from 2nd to 5th as I was just plodding around. If it had been 100 yards later i'd of prob been doing under 30 as I was about to turn off to another street.

But the course was just some bloke talking for what seemed like days.
I actually corrected the chap a couple of times on the highway code. As his book was out of date. :confused:

It was a copper. He was in the back of the camera van. I only noticed the van just as I was passing it. I was under 30 when I noticed the van and looked and looked at the speedo. He must of got me just as i'd changed to 5th. Because I didn't accelerate at all after that.

Many drivers seem to think that they have a say 10% allowance before they can/will cop a fine for speeding BUT they forget/don't understand that provided they have standard rolling diameter tyres NO SPEEDO IS ALLOWED TO INDICATE A SPEED SLOWER THAN ACTUAL SPEED.

So if your speedo shows say 63mph in a 60 zone you may well be doing 63 or less but never 64 or more.

TN I would think that wile you were pinged for 34 in a 30 area your speedo would have been reading a bit higher than 34mph;)

My Passat reads about 1mph over at a true 70mph.

The BMW was reading 30mph at a true 29.8. Very unusual.

I never got around to checking previous cars.

SATNAV speed is very reliable in a straight line. Drive around (slowly) in a tight circle on full lock and some GPS will show zero speed.

If everyone was honest they only attend the course to avoid getting the points.
I have never done one but from people i know who have that seems the common theme.

If I had seen my speedo at the same time as the radar gun hit me, it would of read closer to 40 mph.
I pulled away and gave it a quick squirt to get upto speed to be able to put it in a high gear to cruise as I was about to turn off (i'd jumped in on traffic).
The speedo was roughly 5 mph out.
At the time I got caught the road had not long been reduced from 40 to 30. I'd not actually noticed the change as it was a road i'd not used in a while.
But either way, at the time I spotted the van I was under the limit. If i'd seen the actual point I was hit with the radar gun, I have no doubt I was more than likely over the lowered limit. :)

Many drivers seem to think that they have a say 10% allowance before they can/will cop a fine for speeding BUT they forget/don't understand that provided they have standard rolling diameter tyres NO SPEEDO IS ALLOWED TO INDICATE A SPEED SLOWER THAN ACTUAL SPEED.

So if your speedo shows say 63mph in a 60 zone you may well be doing 63 or less but never 64 or more.

TN I would think that wile you were pinged for 34 in a 30 area your speedo would have been reading a bit higher than 34mph;)

Some roads seem to attract lowered speed limits for no particular reason. OG will say otherwise, but all I am looking for is a justification for lowered speed limits.

The main road by my mums is normally relatively quiet. However, in the last few years there have been 2-3 fatal crashes which has meant the council have put the limit to 30.