So you enter track days

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
If you do then one should "hope for the best and plan for the worst"

By this I mean that you should install a 4/5/6 point harness to better hold you in the seat so you don't have to brace yourself off the wheel for better control and wear an approved helmet.

In addition I now wear a HANS devise which helps prevent over extension of the spinal cord in the event of a bad crash.

This is why it is essential to sit upright and the correct distance from the wheel with an approximately 90 deg angle in your arms in a road car so the air bag can prevent your head snapping forward and stop your head overextending and not with the seat laid back with straight arms like a would be boy racer.

Hope that all makes good sense.:)

I have removed all SRS equipment from my car, so no worry about the drivers airbag deploying in the event of talent running out! I must admit I have not really looked into a HANS device, probably because having one may be seen as getting too serious for track days? Maybe they should be compulsory? However this would make track days more expensive which means we would also require a compatible helmet. Whilst at it we could take this to wearing approved clothing, where would it stop........

From experience I would say some people carry out modifications they don't understand and set ups they don't understand which makes for unnerving track sessions. Maybe there should be classes for novices so they understand the cause and effect with regards modifications good and bad plus one on one tuition before going it alone. Safety is the most important element in motorsport so should be considered at any level and totally understood. It would make it more enjoyable for all and ensure most would drive within their own and the cars limits before exploring possible changes.

My CAMS and FIA approved HANS compatible Bell R1 full face helmet and HANS devise cost less than $1000.00 Aussie dollars.

I also handed my existing 3 inch harness on to my son for his in the build race car and installed a HANS compatible harness that has reduced the width of the shoulder straps to better suit the HANS.

Strangely enough I always run with a 'Novice' sticker on the back of the Beast even though I have many track days under my belt. I let Her Indoors have a go on the track "I know I know :(" but the bottom line is the car is always track day insured, and she does get a huge kick out of driving it. Yes she may well drive it like Miss Daisy bless her, but the look on her face when we get back into the pits is so worth it. <B

It's good that she shares your track day experiences.
Wild horses couldn't get my darling into the passenger seat for a hot lap :lol: but my daughter and grandson have shared the experience |B