Running a car on water

MisterHolaMan

Torque Junkie
Car
none
I've heard all that about combusting hydrogen and oxygen from water split by electrolysis. The main issue with this is how to charge it, but that made me realize, why electrolysis? Why not another tried and true method like water and sodium hydroboride? Tell me what you guys think!

the idea behind the electrolysis is the fact its effectively free. a small charge is needed to start the reaction - car battery, then the seperated hydrogen and oxygen can be burned to release the power to fuel the car and recharge the battery using the altinator.

the real issue is making everything cheaply and safely while getting enough to power the motor.

the $50 kits that you never need buy gas again are a joke

I know that much, but the problem is it takes more input for electolysis than the output. By doing a reaction with a catalyst, the main hard part to get is the reactant, and sodium borohydride isn't necessarily hard to make, they just don't need to. If somebody wanted to start mass producing cars that use hydrogen from it, it would be easy to do.

I wouldn't like that stuff to be left lying around in the event of a RTC.

It's very hazardous - we'd need something less corrosive, and less damaging to the human body. One has to assume that at some point, someone will be covered in this stuff.

all these long words being used here and i cant read them lol have to keep it below 5 letters lol

i sort of know how it all works and ya in one ways its a bit dodgy in a rta but in a nice strong steel tank it wont go anywere