Resurrecting the Motorhome

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Bought this on a very expensive whim around 4 years ago and never used it. It has been sitting in the garden gathering damp, cobwebs and weeds.

After spending the weekend at Santa Pod with forum members and race friends I have decided to see if it is savable.

Put a spare battery in it and it started straight away. The ONLY good thing about diesel engines :)

Hovwever none of the lights, gauges etc worked. Found the fusebox, cleaned them up and everything now works, apart from the horn button. In fact there are two, one on the steering wheel and another on the multi stalk. Horn works so there is a break somewhere. My plan is to get it MOTd to see what needs to be done so a temp switch will be installed for now. Tyres were still up and have I just needed to replace wiper blades.

Interior is rather sad and dull. If the vehicle turns out to be mechanically and structurally sound then we will revamp and brighten it up. Only item missing is a water heater.

It is a 6 berth, which we don't need. So I am thinking of changing the end section behind the entrance door into a strorage area for race equipment. Just thoughts at the moment.

I tried loading from PhotBucket but no joy. What am I doing wrong? :)
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1773&stc=1&d=1346842813

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1775&stc=1&d=1346842813

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1776&stc=1&d=1346842813

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1777&stc=1&d=1346842813

Attachments

• motorhome rebuild 050912 (2).jpg
    motorhome rebuild 050912 (2).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 13
  • motorhome rebuild 050912 (3).jpg
    motorhome rebuild 050912 (3).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 7
  • motorhome rebuild 050912 (4).jpg
    motorhome rebuild 050912 (4).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 9
  • motorhome rebuild 050912 (5).jpg
    motorhome rebuild 050912 (5).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 8
  • motorhome rebuild 050912.jpg
    motorhome rebuild 050912.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Ill check out your photos when i get home.

Upload the photos to photobucket
Click on links
Click on the URL link and it will automatically copy it
Paste where you want the photo

Done.

That's a proper camper van & with aircon too I see. :D Do you plan to tow the car with it as well?

Photobucket. look for the codes failing that get the link code and just type,
[B] [img][/B] [I][COLOR="SlateGray"]your link code here[/COLOR][/I] [B] [|B]

A mobile garage, that is so cool. I guess the bacon rolls are on you at the next meet. Will you be towing the Elan?

That's a proper camper van & with aircon too I see. :D Do you plan to tow the car with it as well?

Photobucket. look for the codes failing that get the link code and just type,
[B] [img][/B] [I][COLOR=SlateGray]your link code here[/COLOR][/I] [B] [|B]

Thanks Loz, that seems to work.

The only air con is the windows :)

Yes, the car will be going in this. It will be painted black to match the car (may paint motorhome black as well - not decided yet)

Internal length is 16 ft and I can stand up in it and I am 6'1".

trailer.jpg

trailer1.jpg

Last edited:
^^ That it is OG but even last week at the Pod it was rather hot - well for me anyway :embarrest: I hope the motorhome comes out in the refurb just the way you would like it too. Out of curiosity, how much is an air conditioning system for it?

^^ That it is OG but even last week at the Pod it was rather hot - well for me anyway :embarrest: I hope the motorhome comes out in the refurb just the way you would like it too. Out of curiosity, how much is an air conditioning system for it?
You're just a southern softy...lol

Fixed the screen washers and horn yesterday. Washers are manual - a pump opperated by foot. It was full of muck and took an hour to get working. The horn was simply corroded contacts.

Also fitted new wiper blades as the rubber had perished.

If it passes the MOT next week the biggest initial cost is going to be two new batteries at around £140.

The service manual is in German, but the Google translate app has helped. Just bought an English copy on eBay which will make life a lot easier.

Last edited:
Thanks Loz, that seems to work.

The only air con is the windows :)

Yes, the car will be going in this. It will be painted black to match the car (may paint motorhome black as well - not decided yet)

Internal length is 16 ft and I can stand up in it and I am 6'1".

trailer.jpg

trailer1.jpg

Ah I mistook the luggage rack at the rear for a air con unit. :embarrest:

Love the trailer & it's got a awning too. :bigsmile:

A Motorhome painted black with no air con in the summer, is this wise OG :blink:

The black will be the same black used on the Elan & it's the same paint Knight Rider used to paint KITT so it'll be IR & Radar reflective. :amuse:

Ah I mistook the luggage rack at the rear for a air con unit. :embarrest:

Love the trailer & it's got a awning too. :bigsmile:

The black will be the same black used on the Elan & it's the same paint Knight Rider used to paint KITT so it'll be IR & Radar reflective. :amuse:

Easy mistake to make :)

Keeping my eyes open for a cheap privacy room to attach to it.

How did you know that? Security has been breached!

I have been looking for and studying motorhomes for almost a year now and thats a nice bit of kit you have there, those old mercs just don't die, You only have to go to a motorcross to see 30 year old vans doing what they have allways done and so well, Shame to cut it up but hey it's your van

I have been looking for and studying motorhomes for almost a year now and thats a nice bit of kit you have there, those old mercs just don't die, You only have to go to a motorcross to see 30 year old vans doing what they have allways done and so well, Shame to cut it up but hey it's your van

Cut it up? Where did you read that? If it passes the MOT next week it will be full steam ahead to get is tidied up and usable. I am already looking for a gas heater and a new cooking/washing unit.

I am already looking for a gas heater and a new cooking/washing unit.

Bit of advice here for you OG, make sure you buy the combi electric gas heater/cooker versions for the motorhome.
A friend of mine regretted not doing so when he was a novice at this sort of thing; gas ran out one cold weekend and he had electric on site but no means to top up the gas/replace bottle; he has since changed the models and is much better for it.
Just a thought OG, as I would not like you to catch a cold in your maturing years brought on by a school boy error :)

Thanks for that T9. However, the home has a separate gas heater with its own bottle so I could change them over if necessary. It will only be used in the summer so gas use for heating SHOULD be minimal, but I will now make room for a spare bottle just to be on the safe side. Need to keep the old bones warm :)

Tired to take motorhome to its date with the MOT man but didn't make it. I was around half way when Istarted to smell something that wasn't good. Pulled over into a field entrance to have a look. Found the front nearside hub assembly smoking! That's not supposed to happen I thought. Something is binding or seized. Started to drive home VERY slowly taking a shorter but narrower route. Smoke got worse so I tried to stop and had no brakes without pumping! Fluid level was OK so I guessed the brakes were so hot the fluid had boiled! I then drove home even slower using gears and handbrake (fortunately only one junction to negotiate and I am out in the country). Made it in one piece.

On removing the wheel everything looked OK, Pads are almost new and discs are in an excellent condition. Removed pads and moved pistons back and forth (squirted WD40 under dust covers) and they all moved. Put pads back in and pushed pedal. Problem seems to be that one pair of pistons are holding pad on disc. The disc runs so straight that it isn't pushing it away so the friction is heating up the disc, pads and caliper.

I will take it for a run tomorrow to see if it has improved. I may have to keep repeating the process until the pistons move freely. As replacements are around £100 each I will try for a while :)

Blimey, you go carefully OG and don't do anything silly with that motorhome. The first sign of trouble call the AA out ;)

It's not the first time I have driven a car home without brakes so I have had previous experience :) Mind you, it makes driving without a clutch seem like childs play. It also makes you think and look a long way ahead!

I haven't taken it for a run yet as it will be illegal unless travelling to an MOT test!

At the moment, one pad stays in contact with the disc once pedal is released. This will cause the heat buildup I experienced before, but probably not as much as the pistons move easier than before.

I think I need to remove the pistons and give them and the bore a good clean. This is something I haven't done before so any advice would be most welcome. I will remove caliper from van, clamping brake pipe beforehand (although I will be replacing fulid due to boiling and standing around for 4 years). I don't want to split the caliper.

Having thought about it for a bit, I have decided to replace both front calipers with new (or at least refurbished exchange) units. There is a lot of weight to haul up so seems the sensible way to go. Price is a round £100 each so not bad for peace of mind, especially as kids want to borrow it :)

No, this one is for the kids to sort out, if they want to be able to borrow it :)

There is no point running it down the strip as the timing system stops at 30 seconds :)

Reconditioned calipers arrived and went on easily.

However, for the first time in my car life (over 40 years) I have not been able to bleed the brakes. There are 2 bleed nipples on each caliper and I bled the system starting with the one furthest from the reservoir. I was using a one way valve on the bleed tube and doing it on my own as usual.

Tried twice but no joy. I will try again tomorrow with some help.

The system is a dual one (separate reservoir for front and back brakes) so the rear system shouldn't need doing or have any affect on the fronts, as far as I am aware.

Any suggestions?

mercnewfrontcaliper.jpg

had another go at the brakes today. I noticed that there is another bleed valve at the top of the caliper. Half a dozen pumps and the job was done! Any idea what the other 2 nipples are for?

As can be seen in the photo, there is a bleed screw between each pair of pistons as well as one at the top. My guess is that the nipples betwen the pistons allow the removal of air in this area prior to final bleeding using the top one.

Motorhome passed it's MOT this morning!!!! The only problem was the fog light decided to stop working, but the examiner said he wasn't going to fail it just for that.

No rust on chassis and brake pipes were changed to copper before I got it. Tyres fine, no split seals or bushes. Examine was impressed with its condition, especially as it has been stored in a field for 5 years!

It's down to the kids, now, to spruce up the interior ready for the spring.

And have the young ones shared any of their ideas with you regarding the interior then OG? Are you easily shocked? :blink:

There aren't going to be any major changes, just a lightening of the dark wood and fabric. Shower needs resealing, one of the double beds needs to be reinstated (centre section missing), window catches and blinds repaired, etc but nothing major. However, I need to fit a water heater as it had been removed prior to us owning it.